Looking for a good Discq switch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've got 2 that are all rusted on the back after surviving 2 MN winters...still running like a champ :)

I lost a port on a 4-way DiSEqC due to a momentary short caused by me changing an lnbf with the system active. A voltmeter proved that port 4 would not pass DC power to the lnbf. Inside, I found a tiny surface mount dual transistor that had failed. I replaced it with a part robbed from another DiSEqC switch that died in a worse way. While troubleshooting to narrow down what exactly was damaged inside the switch, I discovered another problem. Port 1, 2, 3, appeared to function normally when addressed. However, port 2 and 3 would continue passing some power to an lnbf even when another port was addressed and active. About 5 volts continued to flow into the lnbf's on those ports, contributing to an invisible additional current drain. In some borderline situations the total current draw can lead to instability, depending upon how complicated the system and length /quality of cable. Obviously, when using port 1 or port 4 on my switch, the semi-active state of port 2 and 3 would be reducing the available current required for proper operation of a dish positioner and/or cascaded 4-way switches. I see a real need for a simple device for testing DiSEqC switches.

I hope this information helps someone experiencing trouble with blind scans and command related hardware malfunctions. There is no current limiting protection inside these switches. All it takes is a brief short on the center wire of the coax while connecting to the lnbf. You may not notice anything was damaged, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Each of the four ports is isolated from the other, DC and RF(lnbf IF), at all times. In my situation, the DC switching failed on three ports-- one totally, the other two partially. There are also PIN diodes that pass the RF from the lnbf selected. Damage along this component chain will cause a drop in signal strength due to RF loss, directly and adjacently. But, it takes unfriendly voltage surges, not shorts, to damage those devices. I've only had one DiSEqC switch suffer lightning damage that completely fried one port, RF and DC, and the command chip, but it left me three good ports with spare part RF and DC switching components. Why bother to analyze and repair such cheap devices? Because, I can. And, I'm working on modifying a Dishnet SW-21 switch so I can use it with my Pansat, as a 22K switch. I may actually watch TV sometime. A hate the fact that this is a throw-away society, but I sure benefit from all the discarded equipment in a major way. I just acquired a very nice 2 meter composite KU dish w/Norsat lnbf that the commercial property owner was glad to see go. This is a great hobby on many interesting levels!

-

I wonder if I disconnect the cable from the receiver, do my cable switching, then connect the receiver back up if it would help keep the switch from dieing.

I have one now that has a port out.

Thanks for info.

sidha said:
I lost a port on a 4-way DiSEqC due to a momentary short caused by me changing an lnbf with the system active. A voltmeter proved that port 4 would not pass DC power to the lnbf. Inside, I found a tiny surface mount dual transistor that had failed. I replaced it with a part robbed from another DiSEqC switch that died in a worse way. While troubleshooting to narrow down what exactly was damaged inside the switch, I discovered another problem. Port 1, 2, 3, appeared to function normally when addressed. However, port 2 and 3 would continue passing some power to an lnbf even when another port was addressed and active. About 5 volts continued to flow into the lnbf's on those ports, contributing to an invisible additional current drain. In some borderline situations the total current draw can lead to instability, depending upon how complicated the system and length /quality of cable. Obviously, when using port 1 or port 4 on my switch, the semi-active state of port 2 and 3 would be reducing the available current required for proper operation of a dish positioner and/or cascaded 4-way switches. I see a real need for a simple device for testing DiSEqC switches.

I hope this information helps someone experiencing trouble with blind scans and command related hardware malfunctions. There is no current limiting protection inside these switches. All it takes is a brief short on the center wire of the coax while connecting to the lnbf. You may not notice anything was damaged, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Each of the four ports is isolated from the other, DC and RF(lnbf IF), at all times. In my situation, the DC switching failed on three ports-- one totally, the other two partially. There are also PIN diodes that pass the RF from the lnbf selected. Damage along this component chain will cause a drop in signal strength due to RF loss, directly and adjacently. But, it takes unfriendly voltage surges, not shorts, to damage those devices. I've only had one DiSEqC switch suffer lightning damage that completely fried one port, RF and DC, and the command chip, but it left me three good ports with spare part RF and DC switching components. Why bother to analyze and repair such cheap devices? Because, I can. And, I'm working on modifying a Dishnet SW-21 switch so I can use it with my Pansat, as a 22K switch. I may actually watch TV sometime. A hate the fact that this is a throw-away society, but I sure benefit from all the discarded equipment in a major way. I just acquired a very nice 2 meter composite KU dish w/Norsat lnbf that the commercial property owner was glad to see go. This is a great hobby on many interesting levels!

-

yes that would work. Also you could power it off by switch if you have a receiver that does that

PC card would be to shut off the computer

ken2400 said:
I wonder if I disconnect the cable from the receiver, do my cable switching, then connect the receiver back up if it would help keep the switch from dieing.

I have one now that has a port out.

Thanks for info.

If you must reconnect coax while the line to/from the system remains active, do so only at the output ports of the switch to minimize the opportunity for a destructive short due to an exposed coax center wire delivering voltage from the switch to the edge of an lnbf F-fitting or nearby metal. Steady hands and a good aim are required.

-sidha

I wish I would have read this post a few weeks ago, I'm having trouble with one of my sats. (plugged into port 3) of freezing on vertical channels. I'm afraid I've damaged port 3 by plugging and unplugging while reaiming (moving my buckets) my *P dishes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

C-band FTA AMC 1 Reception

Installer Neede

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)