Location of Power Supply for DPP44???

Pakbackr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I am having serious problems with periodic loss of my OTA signal...at same time on both my HD receivers installed yesterday.

Could this have anything to do with where the power source is located for the DPP44 switch? The power source is currently located in my master bedroom, with one of the HD receivers. Should it be located elsewhere in the house, perhaps on a non-HD receiver where there is no diplexer connections?

If so, can I simply shut everything down, move the power supply and reboot, or is there something special I need to do at the switch?

You hinted that you are using diplexers on the same feed that the DPP44 Power Inserter is on. Although there can be diplexers on this feed, they should not be between the Power Inserter and the DPP44 Receiver Port.

See Distribution Diagram 9 and 10 at http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishpro_installation.asp

Yes you can move the Power Inserter to the other receiver.
PROVIDED that you go to the DPP44 Switch, and swap the two cables around, so that the other receiver (now with the Power Inserter) is connected to Receiver Port 1.

EDIT: And yes, just power everything down, move the Power Inserter, swap the 2 cables at the DPP44 Switch, then power it all up. Since the actual switch and satellites did not change, you shouldn't have to do a Check Switch.

Smity,

I did exactly as you suggested, moving the power supply to my daughter's room where she has a SD receiver. The two HD receivers powered up fine and the OTAs were functioning fine...in fact I think the signal strength was much stronger on all channels than before. However, when I tried to power up my daughter's SD receiver, it went through the opening sequence and gave me an error screen on all channels. Did I need to go into the menu under set-up and do anything?

Unplug all connections to the switch, wait a minute or so (this will reset the switch). Plug all connections back beginning with port 1 (to power the switch).

If that doesn't work, run check switch on the receiver. Menu, 6, 1, 1, Check switch.

Somewhat off topic but not too bad, I have an amplified OTA that runs directly to each receiver. Do I need to change anything when I install my dpp44?

FredC
The OP is using diplexers to feed his OTA signal down the same cable as the satellite signal. As you know, the DPP44 uses a power inserter that supplies power into the DPP44 Receiver Port 1, and I believe his issues were because he had the diplexers between the DPP44 and Power Inserter.

In your case, you are running separate cables, directly from the OTA antenna to the receiver antenna/cable-in jack. So you don't have any issues, not with the DPP44.

But you may want to check your receiver manual and see if you need an attenuator on anything to make sure you are not re-broadcasting any signals. I think this only applies if you are feeding the receivers agile modulator output to a home distribution system.

Update on my situation - moved the power insert to a SD receiver (a 301), and made the cable switches at the DPP44. Powered the SD box up and could never completely connect to the satellite. I was only able to get a signal on 118...red Xs on the others. Tried doing a Switch Test at least 5 times...no luck.

Eventually, I decided to move the power insert to my ViP 622. All units including the 301 SD unit powered up nicely. So far, so good with the OTA signals holding on both my 622 and 211. Only once have I received the 739 error message, and I flipped to an HD channel and back and it went away. But since I have seen it at least once, I am uncomfortable that I have truly fixed the problem yet. Especially since I know there is a multiplexer outside the house between the power unit and the DPP44 in this set-up too.

Odd observations - My OTA signal strength by-and-large seems better with the current set-up (near my 622)...most signals in the 90+ range when they had been 75-80 when the power unit was located near the 211. Also, I seem to have better luck connecting with an OTA when I jump from certain HD sat channels. Like bouncing up directly from the Family channel seems to always work, while making the switch from HBO might not.

Someone earlier suggest that this might all be fixed by replacing the diplexers. Haven't tried that yet, but that may be next.

Must receiver dial out from billing phone number?

How to get 622 TV1 to accept UHF remote?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)