LNB advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

playyymaster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
I'm reposting this because the thread got lost in my previous posting.

In my eternal quest for the highest quality possible signal (as most of us are I'm sure),
I was looking at the Invacom SNH-031 and run across a High Gain Low Noise 0.3db Universal Single LNBF Model No. HL-01 on e-bay which claims to have a gain between 65 and 70 dB compared to the 50 - 60 from the Invacom.

My current LNB is some generic universal LNB made in china that came with my digiwave 33" dish and I'm not sure I'm getting all the quality I should be getting.
I compaired it with my StarChoice beer cans and got approximately the same amount.

Will I see much of a difference with the Invacom or the high gain one?

Thanks,:confused:

I've wondered the same thing. I have a made in china 0.3 lnb from ebay. No idea whether its the cream of the crop or if its holding me back. They can put whatever they like on the packaging and ads and for someone like me, there is no way to know the truth of it unless I have another to compare side by side.

When I started I went with a 'cheap from ebay' LNB and it seemed to work out alright. When I had marginal signal on feed (Live 8 comes to mind), in the back of my mind I was kicking myself for not having gone with an Invacom.

The Extreme II that DMS sells seems to me a proven low-cost LNB with the Invacom being the high end LNB. Now Invacom is a Satelliteguys sponsor which is all the better reason to support them :).

I'll be picking up an Invacom if I put my Ku dish back in action.

I agree that we should go with the know quality brand.
I haven't bought the Invacom LNB yet, but could someone let me know what level of improvement should I expect over the cheap no-name lnb?

Thanks

I have used 5 different LNB's on my main setup

-ExpressVu .6 Dual LNB
-DMSI Dual .5
-Fortec .4 Universal
-Xtreme .3
-Invacom .3

The Xtreme worked fine for me but upgraded to the invacom for 2 reasons
-wanted the DBS option and didnt like having 2 LNB's there
-needed a dual LNB for my Pansat 6000 (it has 2 tuner inputs)

I still use the Xtreme on my 2nd motorized setup and the .5 on my 36" fixed G10 dish. The difference between a .5 and a .3 is a good difference. Stuff I couldnt get before I had a hope of getting :)

When its raining hard or heavy cloud cover, you'll lose reception regardless of LNB..that would be dish size :)

I assume you mean 11720 instead of 11200 :)
That suffers from cross pole. Basically at 121 Dish is pumping out a transponder at 11724 that is stronger than the G10 11720 one. Only way to solve that is a larger dish. If they were on opposite polarities there wouldnt be an issue but they both are vertical polarity so they screw up.

Thanks Ice,

I have a 33" digiwave, but for some reason my starchoice dish gets more quality.
That is why I'm thinking on changing the LNB.
On a good day:
Digiwave aprox 45%
SC 60
I also noticed that the offset of the digiwave forces it to be almost vertical and the scale on the side adjustment means absolutely nothing. According to it my dish is aimed at 5 degrees, when in fact it is 33.
I am not too impressed with it.

There is another factor (besides noise figure) that makes a real difference in LNBF performance, and that is L.O. stability. Many of the cheaper LNBFs that claim a noise figure as low as Invacom's have poor L.O. stability compared to the Invacom.

There are some commercial high-stability LNBs with extremely high noise figures that perform equally as well as the Invacom due to even better L.O. stability. An example is my Norsat 11009LA, which is mounted on my 1 meter Channel Master. It has a noise figure of .9 ( :eek: ), but comes close to the performance of my Invacom QPH due to an extremely stable L.O.

Going to a better LNB will give you somewhat better performance but the best way to improve G/T is with a larger dish. On a 30 inch Hot Dish I swapped out a FORTEC STAR LNB with advertised NF of 0.5db and gain of 50db low band and 62.5 db high band with a BeauSat LNB with advertised NF of 0.3db and a gain of 70db. The signal quality increased on average about 10% on several TPs measured. Of course they were both made in China.
Edit: I should have said the SQ went up about 10 points on average according to a PANSAT 2000V. (I use the 2000V for subscribing to TAN TV which uses the VIACCESS encryption and does not need a CAM for the smart card).

Last edited:
Primestar dish and LNB

I can't seem to find an answer to this--
A friend just gave me a 36" primestar dish...Is the original LNB attached FTA compatible? If not, suggestions for one? It is 2", round with no Id. on it...

Also, in another thread there was a link posted for directions for altering a primestar dish for use with 2100 motor...When I clicked on that link it took me to a WWF thread...anyone direct me to the correct link for that info?

Newbie thanking you in advance!

Can't thank you guys enough...Hopefully this weekend I'll be sending praise to all of you when it is hooked up...Thanks...:up

Ya had to say something about the weather huh?...hahaha...
It was 75 YES 75 in MO. when I originally wrote about hookin' it up...
NOW we have 3" of snow and 20 degrees with 30 MPH gusts!
Talk at'cha later!... hehehe

(I'm down here where the tornado warnings were, imagine that)
That just gives me more time to study and consider all the cool motor and mount options you guys gave me in the primestar dish alteration thread...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

how many channels actually?

Dealer/installer help In Georgia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)