Limitation on # of Satellite you can receive?

vinobabu

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
Hi guys..I am sorry if this question has been asked here before. Here is my situation...

I am a dish Absolute subscriber with Washington DC locals. Recently when Dish started adding new HD channels only to Sat 129 & 77... I paid an extra $100 to have them come install a new Dish to pick up Sat 129. Well, they were suppose to replace my existing Dish 500 with Dish 1000 to pull in all 110,119 and 129...but that did not happen, instead I had to settle for another Dish 500 to pull just 129. I also have another Dish on the roof pointed to Sat 61.5 to pull in my DC HD locals. I have a Pro Plus DP44 Switch to route signal from all 4 satellites( 110,119,129 and 61.5) to my receiver (Vip 622 and Vip 211).

So, now I am interested in subscribing to an international package which is getting beamed from 118.7. When I called cust support ...I was told that I have to pay an extra $100 to have someone come and upgrade to Dish 1000 to pick up 118.7. But after some bickering and emailing ceo@echostart.com ...I was able to get a customer rep on line who agreed to waive the cost to upgrade. Just when I thought everything was going to work out..I got a call back saying that they can't do the install without disconnecting one of the satellites as the Dish Receiver cannot receive more than 4 satellites.

They suggested I get a OTA antenna to receive the local HD channels and get rid of the Dish which is pointed to 61.5. Is this my ONLY option?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Currently, Dish does not have a switch that has more than four inputs. However, you could replace the 61.5 dish with a 1K.4 for 61.5 77 and 72 and one of the 500 dishes with a 500+ for 118.7. The 118.7 signal could even be routed to the input of the 1K.4 dish. I don't know why you would need 129 in DC.

The practical limit is four but with a DPP44 switch and some DP21 switches you can add a fifth.

Nail on the head

TimberWolf hit it. That is the correct answer. That way you will get everything in just 2 dishes. EA for you HD & locals. Then the dish for 118.7.

Currently, Dish does not have a switch that has more than four inputs. However, you could replace the 61.5 dish with a 1K.4 for 61.5 77 and 72 and one of the 500 dishes with a 500+ for 118.7. The 118.7 signal could even be routed to the input of the 1K.4 dish. I don't know why you would need 129 in DC.
Yo could then eliminate the DP44 switch. In my opinion, the less you have in the system, the less there is to go out and cause problems. Go with the .4 dish and 500+ wing dish.

TimberWolf got it right. I live near DC. You want Eastern Arc, as DC locals are on 61.5. No need for 129 at all.

How many receivers can you connect to the 1000.4 + wing without the DPP44? I'm guessing 3 or more will requiire the switch ??

I have a similar situation where I'd like to dump 129, but alas, that's where my HD locals are, and my OTA solution will only get me 1 of them at present reliably...plus PBS. But I'm thinking I could connect EA to get all the non-local HD programming more reliably and have 129 for just my HD locals. I have good LOS to 61.5 (it was quite reliable for the 3+ years it was connnected) but I'm not sure I'm good for 72.2 and 77 yet, at least maybe not from my current mount.

Welcome TimberWolf, BTW...

The 1000.2 and 1000.4 dishes have a built-in DPP switch with three receiver outputs and one wing dish input.

Last edited:
The 500+ dish uses a combined LNB for 119 and 118.7. You can attach a single or dual LNB to each side of it for 110 and 129. It does require a DPP44

If using the 500+ as a wing dish, would he really need the 44 switch? Can't 118 go to the in port of the 1000.4? I think that will work without the 44 switch.

You only need the DPP44 if using the one dish with the 4 outputs. If you want eastern arc and int'l you need 2 dishes and no switch unless you want more than 3 recs

Frustrated Dish Owner - I cant be alone on this!

important question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)