LIL Receivers are good

Barry Erick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Dallas
We had a transmitter problem today wherein one tubes' drive was being switched on and off at a 120 hz rate with a visible flicker at that rate on the air.

Watching directly off air, this could be seen. On the OTA with Dish network, it could not be seen, the local picture was fine and I know they get this over the air and not via fiber. Our digital, which picks up the off air and retrans for SDTV showed the problem, and that uses a professional demod.
DirecTV showed the problem, also. But dish kept going as if nothing was wrong.

What the heck are you talking about?

About all I can surmise is that you work at a local broadcast facility and were surprised that Dish's retransmit of your signal seemed to be of better quality than your over-the-air signal?

My inference; The transmission was happening with a 120hz cutout. The OTA signal showed a flicker because of this. D*'s retransmission of the flicker signal showed the defect. E*'s retransmission of this same signal didn't show the defect.

This shows E*'s quality to be higher.

I don't quite follow it either.

If... E* had a better transmission quality, wouldn't they be showing the flicker defect present in the signal? If E* is using a high compression rate on the LiL signal, would this not tend to cover up this flicker?

If this is the case, D*'s higher quality delivery showed the flaws, while E*'s lower quality compression masked the defect.

Those were my thoughts also. At first I was wondering what the title had to do with the post, because I thought he was talking about the subscribers' receivers (which have the appropriate firmware to do LIL remap). After reading it a couple times I realized he's talking about the OTA receivers at the Dish Network local POP.

An interesting post Barry (I always love to hear technical insider stuff like that), but from what we're inferring, the logic is a little backward. :)

Having install done right now - help!

getting OTA local without dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)