Legacy compatability with DirecTV style switches

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
IIRC, 3rd party DirecTV-style switches should work the old Dish Legacy stuff. Is this correct?

IOW, in a setup with a D500 and two Legacy dual LNB's, can I take one feed from the 119 LNB and one feed from the 110 LNB, and feed them successfully through a 2x8 DirecTV style switch? What about doing the same with the two outputs of a Legacy Twin into the 2x8?

Thanks.

GaryPen said:
IIRC, 3rd party DirecTV-style switches should work the old Dish Legacy stuff. Is this correct?
Yes
IOW, in a setup with a D500 and two Legacy dual LNB's, can I take one feed from the 119 LNB and one feed from the 110 LNB, and feed them successfully through a 2x8 DirecTV style switch? What about doing the same with the two outputs of a Legacy Twin into the 2x8?

Thanks.
Nope, neither of those idea will work.

only way you can sort of use DirecTV switches is like the following

-2 duals (one for 110, one for 119)
-2 3x8 switches (or 3x4, 2x4 etc)
-boatload of SW21's

run both lines from each LNB to a multiswitch (119 to one, 110 to another)

Connect one output from each multisiwtch to a SW21

I have run 4 receivers off this setup for fun one time

n0qcu said:
Nope, neither of those idea will work.
I thought that was how DirecTV subs did it with multi-sat dishes. If Dish Legacy was compatible, shouldn't that work too?

Then, what would be the simplest and cheapest way to get both 110 and 119 to 8 receivers?

Iceberg - I may have to resort to a setup like yours. But, I'm trying to keep it simple and cheap and clean.

GaryPen said:
I'm trying to keep it simple and cheap and clean.
Those three qualities always take the fun out of things. I prefer my experiences to be complex, costly, and dirty. :) :dev

The simplest and cheapest way would be a DishPro twin feeding a pair of DP34 switches. Thats only if your receivers are DishPro.

GaryPen said:
I thought that was how DirecTV subs did it with multi-sat dishes. If Dish Legacy was compatible, shouldn't that work too?
DirecTv uses 22Khz switching...Dish has its own (thats why you still need the Sw21's)
Then, what would be the simplest and cheapest way to get both 110 and 119 to 8 receivers?
DishPro...DishPro Twin and 2 DP34's
Legacy.....oh boy....not simple, not cheap
Iceberg - I may have to resort to a setup like yours. But, I'm trying to keep it simple and cheap and clean.
I dont have this up now. I only have one receiver. I had 4 older receivers that I was going to sell and wanted to download the newest software to it and wanted to test out a 3x4 multiswitch in the process :)

n0qcu said:
The simplest and cheapest way would be a DishPro twin feeding a pair of DP34 switches. Thats only if your receivers are DishPro.
Unfortunately, some of the receivers are not DP.
Perhaps we should buy 3 DP311 to replace the non-DP receivers, DP Twin LNB, and two DP34's.

I've always known that would do the trick. Some of the comments here confirm that. I was just trying to avoid the expense.

BTW, this is for a Dish commercial account, where I work. If they didn't already have Dish in this building, I would have recommended a different provider altogether when we added 5 receivers for a total of 8 in this building. (Ironically, a different building on our campus uses DirecTV.)

Now that it looks like we'll be replacing the Legacy LNB's, switch, and older receivers anyway, I kiick myself for not simply trashing the Dish gear in the first place, and going with DirecTV.

%$#@!

since I'm a tard and didnt read the first post (Dish500 with 2 duals)

I would get the SW21's and the 2x8 or 3x8 switches. I know Ebay has it pretty cheap.

Unh. If all you need is a SINGLE channel, then just feed the ONE transponder band whereever you want.

Or for that matter, use ONE receiver and send it's output whereever.

I know you're reasonably sharp, so I'm probably just misunderestimating your needs. :D

SimpleSimon said:
Unh. If all you need is a SINGLE channel, then just feed the ONE transponder band whereever you want.

Or for that matter, use ONE receiver and send it's output whereever.

I know you're reasonably sharp, so I'm probably just misunderestimating your needs. :D
No no no no no. One channel on 110, in addition to all the 119 stuff.

7100/7200 HDD Swap

Belden 7916A RG6 Cable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)