Left Dish

odbrv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 21, 2004
Lubbock, Tx
After 25 years and a Bill that grew to $243 per month, I started to look for alternatives. My rural small town got fiber optics 1Gbyte thanks to the Infostructure Bill. Since I had tried streaming via the Disney plus no ad bundle, I am trying Hulu live TV with 4 add ons( Entertainment, sports, Max, and Starz ). This costs $116 per month above the Disney no ads bundle. It gives me programming I was paying Dish $243. So right now I am saving $127 per month. I owned one of my H3s and shut off my 3 external drives when I cancelled. As of now I can use my H3 to watch all progams on the EHDs and OTA through the OTA 2 tuner dongle. The user interface is rough and I am learning how to navigate.
I was charged $20 for the return box for the H3 and remote. I talked them out of returning the LNBs on my 2 antennas. They also did not want the wireless Joey nor its access device.
Thanks for all the advice I received on this forum. In the future I plan to use other forums here.

After 25 years and a Bill that grew to $243 per month, I started to look for alternatives. My rural small town got fiber optics 1Gbyte thanks to the Infostructure Bill. Since I had tried streaming via the Disney plus no ad bundle, I am trying Hulu live TV with 4 add ons( Entertainment, sports, Max, and Starz ). This costs $116 per month above the Disney no ads bundle. It gives me programming I was paying Dish $243. So right now I am saving $127 per month. I owned one of my H3s and shut off my 3 external drives when I cancelled. As of now I can use my H3 to watch all progams on the EHDs and OTA through the OTA 2 tuner dongle. The user interface is rough and I am learning how to navigate.
I was charged $20 for the return box for the H3 and remote. I talked them out of returning the LNBs on my 2 antennas. They also did not want the wireless Joey nor its access device.
Thanks for all the advice I received on this forum. In the future I plan to use other forums here.
How in the heck did you have a $243 per month bill with Dish?As a long time customer did you ever try to ask them for a better deal?

At any rate congratulations on the move to streaming,it really isn't that much of a learning curve imo.

Hmm, I have Dish, plus Internet, plus some streaming, and it all adds up to a bit less than what your Dish bill used to be. I wonder if you let too many little add-ons pile up over the years…

In any case, when you subscribe to Dish you’re paying for content and infrastructure. With streaming packages, most of your infrastructure bill goes to your ISP. Of course, these days, most people want internet anyways, so it’s hard for satellite to compete if you assume the internet is already just there. That is to say, I could more or less replace Dish with streaming, and save around $40 (again, assuming Internet just has to be there regardless), but I like the redundancy of having different services on different infrastructures.

How in the heck did you have a $243 per month bill with Dish?As a long time customer did you ever try to ask them for a better deal?

At any rate congratulations on the move to streaming,it really isn't that much of a learning curve imo.

I have $230 a month bill from dish, only reason it $145 is cause I keep call every 6~12 month to apply $50 off and and every 6month call to have the half off dish movie package im sure there another discount there too . I been told mutliple time IF i get contract and price lock bill would be better, but when they look they told me the bill will actual go up cause that $50 off cant be applied to account with contracts.

It why I wont do contract. And i made very clear to dish I wont agree to one and soon as they wont give anymore $50 off plus the other discount they will be dropped.

250 package + movie package, and what ever sport package I got grandfather into when dish drop msg Hardware 2 h3 ( one h3 is owned) and 2 joey 4k

You bill skyrockets out side of contract unless it only becomes less if go back to contract and locked price or less if you manual call apply discount ever 6~12 months. which what I been doing for almost decade now.

I still miffy they have nerve to charge month for box I own.

I’ve never called Dish for a deal so I don’t know what it’s like, but I have noticed on the forum for my ISP that there’s a pattern where people call for deals and they get deals but they also end up in slightly bigger packages or with more other stuff. Repeat, repeat… and they eventually end up paying more than originally, though with a bunch more stuff, but maybe stuff they would have never bought otherwise.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I’ve never called Dish for a deal so I don’t know what it’s like, but I have noticed on the forum for my ISP that there’s a pattern where people call for deals and they get deals but they also end up in slightly bigger packages or with more other stuff. Repeat, repeat… and they eventually end up paying more than originally, though with a bunch more stuff, but maybe stuff they would have never bought otherwise.
That "pattern" is called a "lack of willpower" when you allow a CSR to talk you into upgrades or changes to your package and/or equipment when you call for just a billing adjustment. Those things don't get changed in a vacuum, you have to actively participate. Don't blame the salesman.

Yes I used deals and was able to reduce the bill to $189 last year. However, they were not interested in repeating the discounts this year.

I switched to the FlexPack and have it to mostly qualify streaming apps (😉). Locals are OTA as we live close to the towers. I will add the Sports pack when college football starts, so that will bump up our bill by $12+tax. But now we pay $80/mo.

edit: to clarify, that’s with one Hopper 3v and a 4K Joey, plus the usual fees and taxes.

Last edited:
I have $230 a month bill from dish, only reason it $145 is cause I keep call every 6~12 month to apply $50 off and and every 6month call to have the half off dish movie package im sure there another discount there too . I been told mutliple time IF i get contract and price lock bill would be better, but when they look they told me the bill will actual go up cause that $50 off cant be applied to account with contracts.

It why I wont do contract. And i made very clear to dish I wont agree to one and soon as they wont give anymore $50 off plus the other discount they will be dropped.

250 package + movie package, and what ever sport package I got grandfather into when dish drop msg Hardware 2 h3 ( one h3 is owned) and 2 joey 4k

You bill skyrockets out side of contract unless it only becomes less if go back to contract and locked price or less if you manual call apply discount ever 6~12 months. which what I been doing for almost decade now.

I still miffy they have nerve to charge month for box I own.
Interesting, I always thought contracts were 2 years as I didn't do contracts because I don't know when I will rennovate my house which is soon(tm) like DISH says and I said that since 2009 when I bought the house so I kept it off contract and just paid full price for everything other than for 2016 which was 2 years upgrading to the Hopper H3 from the Hopper 1/Hopper 2000.

That "pattern" is called a "lack of willpower" when you allow a CSR to talk you into upgrades or changes to your package and/or equipment when you call for just a billing adjustment. Those things don't get changed in a vacuum, you have to actively participate. Don't blame the salesman.
When you have to deal with a service like a vacuum salesman in the first place, dumping dirt & add-on costs all over you until you boot him out the door, cutting the cord becomes deliciously inviting. Just make sure it's unplugged first.

Interesting, I always thought contracts were 2 years as I didn't do contracts because I don't know when I will rennovate my house which is soon(tm) like DISH says and I said that since 2009 when I bought the house so I kept it off contract and just paid full price for everything other than for 2016 which was 2 years upgrading to the Hopper H3 from the Hopper 1/Hopper 2000.
they have 2 and 3 year contract now? but i know for fact (or at least that what multiple people kept telling me) the $50 off cant be applied to contract account.

10+ years I been doing this $50 off for first few years it was 12 months of $50 off, last few years it been either anywhere from 3~12 months. plus other discounts like dish movie package half off, Also every peice of hardware upgrade I ever got was free Dish paid for it or they told me to pay upfront and then they refunded me by way discount till what I payed was returned. Every recieiver before the start of Hopper to the h3.

There are discount you just have to be willing to constantly call about, and help to do on the loyalty number and some time managers, the normal numbers forget about any of this. Can get most upgrade fee waved too.

I was gonna get the new H plus and Joey 4.0 to be exact 2 H plus and 2 Joey 4.0 and get them for FREE till tech came and said it cant be done, I did this twice trying to get them. but each time tech came out with completly diffrent orders.

This was royal pain in the ass get approved (which involved managers and supervisors). I still want just the 2 joey 4.0 dont even want H plus but I dont feel like go threw hoops to get setup. there system wont Order/upgrade to Joey 4.0 with out the H plus and by default there system wont let you get H plus if you have 2 H3 and wont drop 2nd H3.

Far as I aware you cant atm you can have 2 hplus cause all kinds of havoc, But ever tech I talk in process of getting this done has said that Joey 4.0 dont need h plus to work at all, it simply the way dish setup there system for orders and what that wont allow it. Hell the last person I talk to when I redoing my discount told me there system told them the Joey 4.0 is the (old) joey and Joey 4K is new one, and would not even let upgrade joey 4k cause it told him I did have news Joeys. Not sure I much I believe that, but I would not be surpised if there computer system actual thinks thats.

This all being said I really dont want be calling dish ever 6 months to keep doing this. Sooner later when dad start complain about prices again I just gona tell em cancel it, Sirusxm is only reason at this point I really use dish, and I have sirusxm account it just convenient to me that it on dish.

Most everything I watch I can watch on plutotv or some other streaming platform. Just wont have DVR functions, which there are way around just require effort

Again for all the complaint throw at Dish, Dish is till they only company I still bother to call when I have issue, probably cause they will fix the problem and they will give me discount to keep the bill low this will continue till they stop doing all this.

And yes I know I tend to go on rant and long winded ones at that can full of grammer errors, call it personal flaw :biggrin

So, you not have a $243 bill.
If I post my bill for at&t cellular without discounts, or Frontier internet, or especially SiriusXM that would be equally misleading.
You wanted to end using Dish, no need to embellish.

Last edited:
When you have to deal with a service like a vacuum salesman in the first place, dumping dirt & add-on costs all over you until you boot him out the door, cutting the cord becomes deliciously inviting. Just make sure it's unplugged first.
Didja ever see that episode of "Taxi" where Jim(aka Doc Brown) completely destroys a room before demoing a vacuum cleaner?Then when he opens up his large carrying case he remembers he just got a new job selling encyclopedias! Hilarious.

My old Hopper 3 I had when I quit DISH is still working for ota and for my old external hard drive and the joeys are still connected. So If I want I can still watch them in my office and bedroom. I own all my receivers too.
Curiosity kills, how long has it actually been since you have quit DISH? Asking for a friend of a friend. :biggrin

Two Wally Receivers - Two different Experiences?

MLB Extra Innings