Latest Comscore and Google android stats.

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
Cnet posted statistics for smartphone sales by Vendor and OS on their site, http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57544374-94/samsung-remains-no-1-handset-maker-apple-closes-in-on-lg/]]in this article.[/url]

Note that the % is for both non-smartphone and smartphone categories, which explains why LG exceeds Apple in the share of Mobile subscribers. The vast bulk of Samsung's sales are in smartphone rather than feature and basic phones. Most surprising is an apparent 2% jump in a single quarter for Apple, which gained at the expense of everyone but Samsung. 100% of Apple's sales are smartphones, so there's no speculation needed on the ratio of smart to feature to basic phones for them.

When breaking down by OS, Android and Apple both grew at the expense of others, including MS. Note that the numbers are for the quarter ending Sep 30th, so there's no impact of Windows 8 in the market. I like looking at simplified ratios to get a feel for magnitude. Based on the published data, roughly 7 out of every 8 smartphones are running either Android or iOS.

The Google data in this article shows Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean growing rapidly and now at > 25% of android devices. I think the numbers will grow quickly on ICS/JB as many of the devices running gingerbread are nearing their trade-in cycle for phones. I would speculate that by the end of 2013Q1 ICS and JB will account for roughly half of the installed base.

Interesting data.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

iOS 6.0.1 is out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)