Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
KBS World Launching as Public Interest

Effective July 26, 2006 5pm EST, DISH Network will launch KBS World as a Public Interest (PI) channel, to all subscribers who view the 61.5/148 orbital slots. Prior to this date, KBS World could only be purchased through the Korean Variety Pak. There will be no updates to the existing channel location to support this change.

KBS World, a Korean-language channel with English subtitles, is a general entertainment channel which is the oldest and most popular broadcasting station in Korea. Programming includes the most watched news, sitcoms, dramas, documentaries and current affair programs.

The updated information regarding the station is:

Station:
KBS

DISH Network Channel:

Satellite:
148/61.5

Scott Greczkowski said:

Effective July 26, 2006 5pm EST, DISH Network will launch KBS World as a Public Interest (PI) channel, to all subscribers who view the 61.5/148 orbital slots. Prior to this date, KBS World could only be purchased through the Korean Variety Pak. There will be no updates to the existing channel location to support this change.

KBS World, a Korean-language channel with English subtitles, is a general entertainment channel which is the oldest and most popular broadcasting station in Korea. Programming includes the most watched news, sitcoms, dramas, documentaries and current affair programs.

Station:
KBS

DISH Network Channel:

Satellite:
148/61.5

Now is this a distant local or what :D

Scott Greczkowski said:

Prior to this date, KBS World could only be purchased through the Korean Variety Pak.

I believe that statement to be incorrect.

Although you use to could purchase it separate, it became available as part of the Korean Varety Pack.

However, I believe it has been available to everyone with AT60 and above, provided they have access to 121.

I believe someone said it is available to those with access to 118.7 (maybe under same requirements as 121).

EDIT: You said purchased, my mistake -- you can either purchase it or get it free with other subscriptions.

Yes, I have a 121 dish and was getting KBS World on something around 9850. Now that it's on 61.5 I can use that dish for something else.

Either way, you are still doing a good job, and the information is of value.

I just wish they would put the whole Korean Variety Pack on 121, instead of just 4 of the 6 channels.

Any word on the MTV Korean Channel?

Pepper said:
Yes, I have a 121 dish and was getting KBS World on something around 9850. Now that it's on 61.5 I can use that dish for something else.

if there are no channels on 121 you need, you can integrate it into your FTA system. The KU LNB works for the KU satellites :)

Last edited:
precisely, i will probably point it at 129 since that's about all i can't find with the motorized dish (house is in the way). It;s an old primestar dish with a 105 LNBF zip-tied to it, I can put the original LNBF back on.

If you have never watched it, KBS has some really great programming. It is basically the international version of Korean PBS. One of the best programs is Screening Humanity - a look at the human condition (coping with a child with development issues, what it is like being unemployed in Korea, etc.). There are a number of Korean novellas - some are pretty good watching. The majority of the programming has English subtitles. There are also some very strange programs - think Univision Korean style. Vitamin is one strange program - think of an educational version of Sabado Gigante.

The source for this was the advertising deparment, this was actually an email from them.

Here is the full email

Message Date: 7/24/2006
Subject: Programming Update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Station:
KBS

DISH Network Channel:

Satellite:
148/61.5

Scott Greczkowski said:
The source for this was the advertising deparment, this was actually an email from them.

Here is the full email

Thanks, Scott! We do quite a few ethnic subs around our area and instead of deploying D500+ (which is almost impossible to get now) for our Korean subs I can have our sales reps push the PI version if they also get HD where they can get the 2nd dish for free. :)

Last edited:
The Dish web site shows KBS World at 148, 61.5, 121. For some reason, it does not list it at 118.5 where the other Korean programming is.

It also says:

Available at no additional cost to DISH Network customers at the 121 satellite location with subscription to qualifying programming. Requires SuperDISH antenna pointed at 121 orbital location. Additional fees may apply for new and existing DISH Network customers to upgrade their dish antenna.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/channels/indexpackage.asp?NetwID=51818

Last edited:
Dish has many web sites that are wrong, and/or inaccurate.

However, to give credit where it's do, it does look like they have updated some of their pages for the foreign programming.

Last edited:
KBS is currently listed at:

704 - KBS - 121.0W TP 15
9850 - KBS - 118.0W TP 17
704 - KBS - 118.0W TP 17
652 - KBS - 148.0W TP 11
652 - KBS - 61.5W TP 18
9850 - KBS - 121.0W TP 15

Anyone use Aspen SuperNode with 522 TV2?

They Won't Let Me Upgrade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)