It's Official! Say Goodbye To The 1000.4 WA

I've personally seen quite a few of them the last week here in the L.A. area, and in a news shot of a suspected murderer. Yup, he had the dark gray. It really stood out.

9 out of 10 suspected murderers prefer the dark grey reflectors over the regular reflectors.:D

Ghpr13:)

This is just Dish doing what Dish does best. I can't tell you how many times they have done this over this past several years, from LNB supply issues to receiver availability issues, the only thing consistent with Dish is change. Some may say its the cost of one LNB over another, some may say its snow/rain fade issues. Fact is, its Dish doing what Dish does best. I have no clue why they cant just figure out a different yoke to let the regular 1k2 lnb fit on the 1k4 dish setup, I bet that would be a hell of a lot cheaper than carrying alllll the extra equipment they are going to have to carry now because of this "change".

Where do you camp? Downtown Fairfax? ;)

:up I guess I could have phrased that better. I can get a great signal all around FFX, and where I work in Springfield. And have tried it a few other places. Meant to try it at Panera Bread in Fredrick, but my stomach got the best of me.

I camp near the I-81 & I-70 intersection. We have camped in other areas in years past, and hope to do so again in the future. But for various reasons, esp health and honeydew lists, we just go "camp" where we own the lot and can camp in place. Signal is miserable there. I can surf a bit and check email, but watching TV via the adapter is pretty much desperation mode. But we don't care. There's plenty of MPT there for us to watch, DVR'd on our Dish DTVPal DVR.

I was going to post about my and my son's health concerns, but decided not to. To condense it: If you start having prostate problems, do not wait for it to get "bad." Sometimes it suddenly goes from a small problem to total blockage. Details omitted. And if you have a pain in your groin, and then can't eat and spend two weeks drinking Ensure, you're weeks too late going to a doctor and getting checked for testicular cancer. But sometimes, you luck out, and the death sentence pronounced by one doctor is reversed by another (at Johns Hopkins).

The 1k.4 skew is so much nicer to peak in at the top of a ladder than the 1k.2. I wish Dish wouldn't change things all the time. Went from black dual messenger to gray then back to black. How do you guys like the new ETAdirect? What was wrong with Tech Connect? I guess ETA is better for them to track.

If there was a mesh dish that you could buy then that would help with the wind load for the RV'ers. I am surprised that they do not make such a dish. They announced one at Team Summit a while back with a mesh superdish.

If there was a mesh dish that you could buy then that would help with the wind load for the RV'ers. I am surprised that they do not make such a dish. They announced one at Team Summit a while back with a mesh superdish.
Mesh dishes don't change wind load at all. They just look better. A mesh dish acts just like a solid object when it comes to wind loading. This is a myth that just keeps cropping up over and over.

I guess you are lucky to always have flat ground where the dish can get a view of the satellites. We often are setting up on inclines or very rough terrain. Adjustable leg tripod with a good ballast load has worked for us.

I have watched people with ground mounts where they shimmed the base to get the mast vertical. I wtchj them again as they have to re-shim as the breezes work on the mount.

A collapsed tripod and two empty buckets are a lot easier to carry than a 24" stepping stone.

From my experience, most rv sites are prety level. If not, the wall mount has about 45 degrees of adjustment to level the mast.

I have used mine for tent camping all over Florida with great results. we hook up the receiver and a projector to an inverter in the car and watch Gator games in hd around the campfire.

Lucky for you to have such level sites. Of course you are operating is a rather limited area. Try the whole US.

When we are using the tripod it is because we are being blocked by trees and the locations to get away from the trees are seldom anywhere near level.

As for
If not, the wall mount has about 45 degrees of adjustment to level the mast.
Adjustment in one direction will seldom get a mast vertical. That means shimming the base and again, the opportunity to re-shim.

If you were full-timing, you would find the space for a paving block to be a problem.

Last edited:
You know I almost ordered one of those black reflectors,glad now I didn't!!
I understand from the installer viewpoint, where you just want to install the dish and you want it painted the way you want it.

But from an owner viewpoint, I just painted the dish to match the shed it is attached to in our winter location so it blends in with the wall the dish is attached to.

Actually, all the holes in the mesh dishes may cause more turbulence on the back of the dish and give it more windload than a solid object, sort of like the way an air dam on the front of a car keeps the air from striking all the junk under the car and ends up lowering the wind resistance of the vehicle in spite of its solid surface.

So, what is the going rate for a full D1000.4WA these days?

I have an original D1000 with a DP twin and a DP dual.

I would not mind getting a little bit stronger signal for the right price.

Last edited:
The unofficial reason for K.4 recall is that they were too heavy for the mast and caused some signal problems (too many tc's) and to many contract installers were doing crappy job on installing the masts on roofs improperly. So until the weight/mast installation problem gets worked out, the K.2 will be eastern arc only. Its too bad because that K.4 is a really good dish. Best so far for triplett reception.

211K Questions

Wanting Dish but possible problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)