Is there any benefit connecting a 211k to the internet

Zagor

Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I have both a 722K with a sling adapter and a 211k receiver. The 722k is connected to my router using a gigabit switch so that I can use dish online. Is there any benefit to connecting the 211k to the internet? I would have to run a cat5e line to my bedroom to connect it and was wondering if it was worth the effort.

Thanks

You would not have to run any line to get the 211k to show up. You can use the DISH Comm on your 722 to connect to the 211k through your home power lines. Try Menu 6-1-8 "DishCOMM Setup" then scan and any other receivers should show up and be added to your network. It is an easy solution and will allow for all interactive features and diagnostics to be run on the 211. If you have any problems and would like to connect the receiver, please PM me and I assist further.

Last edited:
maryb@Dish Network said:
You would not have to run any line to get the 211k to show up. You can use the DISH Comm on your 722 to connect to the 211k through your home power lines. Try Menu 6-1-8 "DishCOMM Setup" then scan and any other receivers should show up and be added to your network. It is an easy solution and will allow for all interactive features and diagnostics to be run on the 211. If you have any problems and would like to connect the receiver, please PM me and I assist further.

Mary, won't dishCOMM only work for a phone connection?

Neither receiver is connected by phone. Strictly ethernet on the 722k only. What about On-Demand stuff, would that work without being connected to the internet?

Mary, won't dishCOMM only work for a phone connection?
Sorry, Please disregard my previous message. DISHComm is Phone line not broadband. If you are using a Home Powerline Connection in the home, it will connect up to 3 receiver without running wiring. It will work through the Home Plug Technology, see here
If OP needs one, please PM me,. Thanks for the heads up DishTechPA. Thank God, it's Friday!! :amen:

Neither receiver is connected by phone. Strictly ethernet on the 722k only. What about On-Demand stuff, would that work without being connected to the internet?
Sorry, it was my error. You were clear in your post. On Demand will not work without being connected.

If you have an EHD connected to a 211k and use the DVR feature, can you schedule recordings through Dish Online as you could on a 622 or 722?
I don't believe so. I ran a temporary line just to see if I could do that (I do have an EHD connected to the 211k and was also curious abut this). The 211k still shows as offline on my account even though it was plugged in and was configured properly. It maybe that you must have a sling adapter for it to show online but this receiver does not support a sling adapter. I did read several posts on this board that said the scheduling recordings on the 211k with EHD cannot be done right now.

Anyway, sounds like it really isn't worth it to run a line since I do most of my TV watching on the main TV with the 722k.

maryb@Dish Network said:
Sorry, it was my error. You were clear in your post. On Demand will not work without being connected.

On demand doesnt work on the 211 anyways.

Unless things have changed and adding an ehd to a 211 makes it act like a real dvr.

Satellite TV on PC Monitor

Making the jump to HD. What do I want/need?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)