Is there a max cable length from the dish to the receiver?

Dominic

Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Northern New Jersey
I have a Dish500 pointed at 110 and 119 connected to two receivers using two SW21 switches. The receivers are an older 4900 and a new 811.
Here's my problem. Resently I had to relocate my dish because of a group a tree that have grown.
Every since I move the dish I keep losing the signel. When I repointed the dish I had 125% on both 110 and 119. When I run a switch check and I get "no switch installed" or "unknown switch type". This will happens two or three time finally it recognizes the switch and connects for a while.
The relocation added about 50' to the cable lenght between the dish and the switches making the total lenght between the dish and the furthest receiver about 125'. Could the increased cable lenght be causing my problem or should I look at a possible problem with the switches, the receiver, or the LNBs?

Dominic said:
I have a Dish500 pointed at 110 and 119 connected to two receivers using two SW21 switches. The receivers are an older 4900 and a new 811.
Here's my problem. Resently I had to relocate my dish because of a group a tree that have grown.
Every since I move the dish I keep losing the signel. When I repointed the dish I had 125% on both 110 and 119. When I run a switch check and I get "no switch installed" or "unknown switch type". This will happens two or three time finally it recognizes the switch and connects for a while.
The relocation added about 50' to the cable lenght between the dish and the switches making the total lenght between the dish and the furthest receiver about 125'. Could the increased cable lenght be causing my problem or should I look at a possible problem with the switches, the receiver, or the LNBs?

Here are the maximum recommended cable lengths.

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/181

NightRyder

Yes the additional length could affect the switches. If you run 4 cables from the dish to the old location and put your switches back in line at that location you might go back to reliable operation. Going back to the early days of the dish 500 it seems like there was a maximum of 85 ft. between the receiver and the SW-21.

Adult Programs

New setup???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)