Is the Dish 1000 free if you want Voom and your Locals are on 148?

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
I want to call and order Voom.

I already have a 2nd DIsh had 148 for one of my Locals.

Since the FCC is going to be requiring a ONE Dish solution in my market someday, will Dish still charge me the $99 for the DIsh 1000?

I have been reading many posts and it seems like the price structure may be different if your in a Dish 1000 market like I am. I am still confused.

the dish 1000 does not point at 148. it points at 110, 119, and 129. the one dish solution has to do with locals being on the same dish.

korsjs said:
the dish 1000 does not point at 148. it points at 110, 119, and 129. the one dish solution has to do with locals being on the same dish.
ummm I think he meant to say his extra locals are being migrated from 148 to 129 .. In that case would the dish 1000 be free

It will ony be free when they make that offer avaulable to you, up until then it will be $99.

New customers however will get the Dish 1000 for free.

I understand now. Thanks

Follow up question . . .

Anyone know when the FCC rulling takes effect when Dish must have all Locals on one Dish? Is that rule just for new customers or all customers?

Seems like I read the ruling was next year all DMAs must be on one dish. If this is true will Dish be sending people out to install Dish 1000s for free to be in compliance?

My PBS is now on 148 and 129.

You could just simply turn the 148 dish towards 129. According to the last retailer chat, Voom will stay at 129. No need to pay for (or wait for the free) DISH1000. Turn it towards 129 and you can order Voom right away.

(Keep in mind that even thought they said Voom will stay at 129 to the retailers, it's not official until it's officially announced so that could change.)

But the Wife does not like the 2nd Dish on the roof [something about Disney looking]. She wants cable back (no ugly dishes).
(might also be why the FCC is making a the one Dish requirement for all).

How hard is it to take the LNB from my 2nd Dish and connect it to the side of the LNBS on my DIsh 500? Anyone getting a good signal strenth? Or should I just cough up the $99 for a real Dish 1000?

ScottChez said:
But the Wife does not like the 2nd Dish on the roof [something about Disney looking]. She wants cable back (no ugly dishes).

Not everyone will have just one dish for everything. For instance, if your locals are ALL on 148, you would still need two dishes: a DISH500 for 110/119 and a second dish for 148. The requirement is for your LOCAL channels to be on one dish, not ALL channels.

ScottChez said:

*grin* I know this sounds odd, but my mom and I actually like the way the dishes look :D for that reason too, lol.

M-i-C-k-E-y M-o-U-s-E

:clap

Btw it is possible to do what you said (to get 129 on your primary dish). Some people have used zipties, others have used metal ties, I'm not sure what to use, if you're really desperate rubber bands might do the trick (to hold the 129 LNB to the 110/119 ones).. I'm sure someone will tell you after flaming me about how ugly that could possibly look ;)

RussTC3 said:
Well I don't pick up a few channels in my local package. Will they send me a free dish?

You're going to have to give a bit more information than that. Sadly, we aren't psychic so you're going to have to tell us what market your local channels come from to ensure you get a free dish.

OoTLink: I was going to try offseet mounting the Twin (119 of the LNB into the 110 hole of the mount), then putting the 129 LNB into the 119 hole, and probably strengthening the mess with zip ties. No need now that the D1000 is shipping. I'm looking at the one for SpringsGuy right now - it's on my TV room floor. :)

Some of my Locals are on 110/119 my PBS is on 148 (and now 129).

When does the FCC require dish to go out and put in for Free Dish 1000's for markets like mine where you must have Two Dishes.

Or is this law only for new customers?

new grounding requirements?

reception problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)