Is it the switch or the tuner?

dhjean

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
West Palm Beach, FL
Hi all, I hope someone can help point me in the right direction.

I have a 322 (and a 722 that's working fine on all tuners). There are two dishes mounted--a separate one for 129.

By the way, I've no idea what the switch setup is. If there's a switch, it must be up on the roof, because I can't find anything down where the cables go into/out of the house.

On the 322, I can only use one tuner at a time. Whichever tuner is working tunes in everything perfectly. The other tuner will remain on the "Acquiring satellite signal" (#015) screen and eventually show an error screen (#002).

If, while on the tuner that's not working, I press Menu 6,1,3 and select yes to the warning about the other tuner being in use, the system info process goes. It ends by showing all three satellites with a big red and white X for the signal.

However, when I select "Done" on that process, that tuner is working and the OTHER one now is unable to acquire a signal.

If I repeat this process with the other tuner, the exact same thing happens.

It's been this way for a few weeks, but I've been on vacation. I've tried restarting using the front panel power button and by pulling the plug. This behavior appears to be consistent.

So what is the culprit: a switch or the tuner or something else?

Thanks for the help! :)

Hard to say even if we do know what LNB/switch he has! But my guess since he has two dishes is a DPP twin on 110/119 and a 129 DP dual (or single) plugged into the DPP twin LNB input port.

dhjean, if you care to diagnose this yourself, you could swap your 322 for your 722 and see if it works OK there. Because the coax coming from the dish alternately works for one tuner or the other, I don't think it's a diplexer or a separator. It's either the 322 or the DPP twin.

If you start swapping out components, rather than signing up for DHPP and getting a tech to do this, then by far the cheapest thing to swap is that DPP twin. I bought one for about $25 off ebay. IF you don't torque the hell out of your dish, you can remove the old and put on the new and it will still be in alignment.

Okay, thanks much for the thoughts. I'll switch out the 322 and 722 and see what happens. But I think I may be better off signing up for DHPP and getting a tech out.

Again, thanks for helping out.

dhjean said:
Okay, thanks much for the thoughts. I'll switch out the 322 and 722 and see what happens. But I think I may be better off signing up for DHPP and getting a tech out.

Again, thanks for helping out.

everytime i rollout to a job where that is the problem with one tuner working and not the other, its usually the reciever has gone bad. I change everything from dish to dyplexers to seperator and it never seems to help till i change out the reciever. Im 99% sure your reciever ia toast.

I thought I would follow up after finally getting time to deal with this.

I switched out the two receivers, leaving everything else in place at each location (cables, diplexers, separators, etc.). And much to my relief, the 322 still malfunctioned in exactly the same way.

That made a call to Dish easy, though it still required talking to two levels of tech support. I went through their troubleshooting steps with them over the phone, even though I knew what the result would be. They sent me a replacement overnight.

Thanks so much for the advice. It was, of course, spot on.

Congrats on diagnosis and getting that replacement receiver. How much did you have to pay, may I ask?

Newbie Question

vip612 ethernet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)