Is BHN getting 1080p VOD?

SideFx

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
I just read this - DISH to have 150 HD channels this year and 1080p VOD in August - Engadget HD that both Dish Network and DirecTv are getting 1080p VOD along with more HD channels.

I know BHN has more HD coming soon now that SDV is almost near completion, but 30 - 50 HD channels behind both sat providers and I haven't heard anything about 1080p VOD. Is this something we also will be getting with SDV in the works?

Also, I thought 1080p was something that people were talking about as years down the road because of current bandwidth constraints?

Keep in mind that DirecTV and Dish's VOD isn't instant by any means. From what I understand you have to wait about 30 minutes for enough of the program to download before it'll let you start.

So sure, they might *offer* 1080p....but if it takes a few hours to load, can you realy call it VOD?

At least with Brighthouse's HD-VOD it only takes 10-20 seconds to load, and you're good to go.

Yet. When Multi-casting and SDV is the norm (within the next year) BHN will have more bandwidth then they know what to do with. Currently a single channel only has enough bandwidth for about 45mbit (give or take) 1080p takes like 120mbit or something similar. With multi-casting (combining channels to a single "bandwidth") They can get up into the gigabits of data transfer, so 1080p will be easy enough to do.

Yet. When Multi-casting and SDV is the norm (within the next year) BHN will have more bandwidth then they know what to do with. Currently a single channel only has enough bandwidth for about 45mbit (give or take) 1080p takes like 120mbit or something similar. With multi-casting (combining channels to a single "bandwidth") They can get up into the gigabits of data transfer, so 1080p will be easy enough to do.

Although none of the boxes in any brighthouse home can output 1080p, can it? ;)

Details :)

Out-of-network channels

Anyone in Nashville w/ the Comcast Digital Starter Pack?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)