Install HD Directv Myself

Status
Please reply by conversation.

patrick_cameron6463

Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
I want to do an install of the HD setup myself. I am just tired of waiting for the installers to come. It took them 3 weeks to get to my apartment and when he got there, he tells me that we have to reschedule because he did not have the written consent from the landlord, which I gave them earlier. Now, I have to reschedule again and get written consent again.
I want to use the pre-existing cable tv lines(RG-6) to run the HD Directv. There is a cable splitter in the attic one goes to my bedroom and one to my living room. I want to remove the splitter and hook the Directv lines directly to each lines with a coupler. The installer looked at the wiring and said he would have to install all new wiring and wall outlets for it to work. I though RG-6 was the de facto standard for all Directv systems. [1] What type of wire do I need to run? [2] How difficult is it to aim the 5 LNB satellite? I have installed the 1 and 2 LNB satellites with no problem before. [3] What equipment do I need to install it beside the satellite and receiver? [4] Could someone give my a good step by step tutorial? The more information the better. Thanks a lot.

They want to install their on cable runs so if any user ever complains they will already know those old ones, that they had no control of or info on, isn't a suspected culprit.

Plus, the barrel connectors could result in moisture issues that a solid run line wouldn't, so take the freebie with the new cables.

I just want them to run it in the attic and I want it done soon. In my last apartment, I let them do a similiar installation without my supervision. Before I left I explained I wanted them to replace the splitter in the attic with a multi-switch since all the lines were already run but they decided to run it around door frames and through the wall. It looked like a five year old did the job. I just do not want that kind of job done again, and I do not want to be charged for them having to run the wires, which I heard they do if they have to go in the attic. I just figure if I do it, it would be done right and fast. Thanks for the quick follow up.

Yep, you are somewhat asking for billable extra work that is not normally included in the free install service; wall/attic fish, etc. There are lengthy, lengthy threads on this topic in both the DirecTV and Dish areas.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Article on HD DVR Delay

New HD DVR Set for August?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts