Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
(Got some info on the new Karaoke Dish Home Feature, no word on when it starts... Hmm wonder if Dish will start building in Mic jacks to its future receivers?) ;)

Karaoke by Sound Choice is the first of its kind available to Dish Network customers online through channel 100 (Dish Home). This subscription-based service will open the door to the world of karaoke fun for the whole family. Karaoke is an interactive application accessed through Dish Home that gives customers the opportunity to sing their hearts out. The main screen will give the customer the choice of two different music genres of music to sing along with as well as a play list of upcoming song for each genre. Customers will be able to pay for a one day subscription for $1.99 of a monthly subscription for $4.99.

Finally, someone did something to keep those off key half drunks at home to sing bad 80's songs.

If I hear one more drunk try to get the whole bar to sing "Sweet Home Alabama" again I think I'll go crazy.

It's all f-ing embarrassing. The gazillion shopping channels. The crap HW. The birds spread out all over the place requiring multiple dbs dishes, sometimes combined with superdishes. The $5 downgrade fee. The $5 per DVR "vod" fee. The lack of basic channels found on both DirecTV and cable.

on and on and on and on.....

Scott Greczkowski said:
... as well as a play list of upcoming song for each genre...
:confused: Does this indicate you don't even choose what song you want, you just wait until the current one finishes (or pick up and start singing its last lyrics) and hope the next one is one you want to sing? I don't want no stinkin kareoke on my receiver...

There's just something very pitiful about this whole new feature, it actually breaks my heart that Dish Network thinks this is what their customers want instead of fixes for basic functionality. Or that this is all they're capable of accomplishing and they're just stalling us. :no

Scott Greczkowski said:
(Got some info on the new Karaoke Dish Home Feature, no word on when it starts... Hmm wonder if Dish will start building in Mic jacks to its future receivers?) ;)

Ahem. The 7200 Dishplayer had a Mic in. Heck, it even had composite + audio in. What an underutilized platform. I thought the guide with the PIP was pretty cool too, especially way back in the day. Oh well, enough of that trip down memory lane :)

On second thought.. I think some people found a use for that mic port ;)

Its all about another way for Dish Network to make just that little bit more money. If only that much more effort was put forth to reduce churn among other things.

I think we here lack the perspective of Joe Q. Consumer. We're so caught up in the details to realize that the average Dish customer doesn't even know about bugs and quirks with their rcvrs.

Heck, some of them can't grasp the DVR concept.

I don't think it's screwed up priorities.. i think it's more along the lines of one department (marketing) producing more efficiently than another (engineering). I'm sure the engineering department is more focused on the future than on the past. They're probably working the bugs out of Name Based Recording and Dish Pro Plus, and putting the majority of resources on that instead of fixing a quirk in the 811.

Do they screw up, yes. Alot. But nothing that is cutting edge ever has all the kinks worked out. I'd rather have NBR and DPP out asap than to have every bug in every rcvr fixed.

Neutron said:
I'm not sure which one is more embarrassing, bingotv or karaoke

You kind of wonder what would be the next emabarrasing thing they do. They have quite an imagination for embarrasing ideas. why not tomb-tv? they can put a camera on a tomb and just watch the dark screen. I think that will more interested than the bingotv or karaoke... :rolleyes:

heck...bingo tv does not even work in my area of ohio it is blacked out.....wonder if k tv will have blacked out songs for my area...lol...what a joke k tv is

bcshields said:
I don't think it's screwed up priorities.. i think it's more along the lines of one department (marketing) producing more efficiently than another (engineering). I'm sure the engineering department is more focused on the future than on the past. They're probably working the bugs out of Name Based Recording and Dish Pro Plus, and putting the majority of resources on that instead of fixing a quirk in the 811.
It most certainly is screwed up priorities. And, there is nothing efficient about coming up with lame ideas. I do agree that the engineering folks are inefficient. The proof is in the 811/921/522 pudding.

bcshields said:
Do they screw up, yes. Alot. But nothing that is cutting edge ever has all the kinks worked out. I'd rather have NBR and DPP out asap than to have every bug in every rcvr fixed.
There is not much that is cutting edge about Dish receivers. DVR's, HD, and certainly satellite technology have been with us for years now. Other manufacturers seem to be able to design, build, and support these types of products with little difficulty. I give Dish credit where credit is due. Unfortunately, they often deserve far more bashing than credit. It's a real shame.

Sean Mota said:
You kind of wonder what would be the next emabarrasing thing they do. They have quite an imagination for embarrasing ideas. why not tomb-tv? they can put a camera on a tomb and just watch the dark screen. I think that will more interested than the bingotv or karaoke... :rolleyes:

You'd have the ghost watchers glued to the channel waiting for proof to appear before them.

811 OTA Picture Quality

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)