If it's Fall, Sunday, 1pm - FTA CBS affiliate

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerryK

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 25, 2005
what happens? does the screen go black, or do I get to watch a football game?

Btw, this is my first post...this is a great site. I'm hunting down a c-band dish and trying to decide betwixt subscribing to something, or going FTA. The ultimate goal...NY Jets games on a CBS East affiliate (or wild feed, if they exist anymore).

Many Thanks,
Jerry

Shawn, are you suggesting the game will be watchable via FTA, or does the NFL make the affiliate black it out?

Hi Jerry, welcome to Satelliteguys FTA :)

Check out the What's Up There section (You'll need to apply) for an idea of what's up there in wildfeeds.

I'm sure you'll find something on FTA, new stuff appears all the time and you don't need a big C-band dish to get some great free programming..

I'm suggesting that if it's on for that market, watch it.

Granted for FTA you'll have to find a CBS affiliate that has the game on. If it's blacked out in that market, you'll see what they see.

Or like Cascade mentioned - find the feed :cool:.

Shawn

Thanks Cascade, I've done a fair amount of reading, and those sticky posts are great. I'm thinking I'll go with the c-band dish, and maybe put together a Ku FTA setup for now. If I get hungry for commercial programming, I'll then get a 4dtv receiver and subscribe.

Is there an LNB that'll cover me on the FTA (c-band / KU) but will still work if I switch to a 4dtv setup?

If you're going for a smaller dish you'll best be served with a decent Ku-only LNB, the Invacom are by far the best LNB I've used and are very popular right now.
I don't know of an LNB which will work for C-Band and Ku on an offset dish, if you know different, please let me know - I'll buy one.

Check out Sadoun who are our new sponsor, they have a fair array of decent dish/LNB packages.

There's usually someone round here who can help you when something isn't working right :)

I've actually called Sadoun already a week or so ago. They knew their stuff. Once I get my dish (it will be a big one) I'll have them find me a lnb that will give me FTA and (someday) 4dtv options.
-thanks again for all your help guys!

Update: Just got my dish! ebay auction ended, it's item# 5776248147 (I'm a newbie and can't post the url, sorry) I can't tell how big the holes in the mesh are (for Ku), but I read at skyvision that I can get "upgrade" panels for orbitron dishes. We'll see.

The CBS game on the Virgin Islands CBS will be shown. It was on last year no issues.

Also, the 3 fox networks had games too....remember...this is going to the "local" area. The fact that FTA'ers can get it is a plus :)

One thing to think about here though, is that if it becomes widely publicised and posted openly on the internet that you can in fact watch games that are normally "blacked out" in your area, then it may come to an end as signals can always be easily encrypted.

so... to be clear, the FOX/CBS stations on FTA do not blackout their market's NFL games before it is uplinked to the bird?

The FTA feeds exist to send the signals to cable systems, to feed sister stations that relay the main station, or in the case of the Equity stations to feed the local station's transmitter as well as cable systems. So nothing is ever blacked out.

Does anyone remember WFFF of Burlington, VT, on AMC5 (79W) a few years back?

It was a Fox affliate. Since the closest NFC team to Vermont was the Giants, it televised all the Giants games, home and away, so it's just like the Fox affliate in New York.

WFFF's signals were weak anyway, but I could still receive them on the west coast.

However, during Sunday afternoon when the NFL was on, I never managed to get a signal. It's always "no signal". Only after the NFL timeslot that I managed to get the signal back. I suspected WFFF deliberately turned down or turned off the signals during NFL telecasts.

Of course, the Fox affliates on G10R are much better.

JerryK,
Welcome to the world of c/ku band FTA. Once you have your dish set up you will love it. there are a couple of options to recieve c and ku band off of your dish, one is a corotor, the other is a c/ku lnbf. I am using a corotor and it works well. I am VERY interested in c/ku lnbfs, from what i have read there is going to be a new version out shortly.
Have fun and make sure to take a look in the C Band discussion forum, if you have questions during setup and for normal operation that is a great place to ask them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Positive messages

Signal comparison between receivers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)