I think I wasted $350

Status
Please reply by conversation.

katfish

Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Jonesville, La. 71343
I just purchased a complete new satellite system in hopes of being able to get FOX NEWS NETWORK on FTA. I have been scanning for a week now and haven't been able to scan up anything. At this point I would settle for Huckleberry Hound. I am not real high-tech, but this looks fairly simple,-- I can't get anything. I am missing something somewhere. I have called the Company that I purchased this unit from and they recommended me to this site. Can anyone help me, PLEASE? I am showing a signal strength of 35-39 and Quality is only 7-9----I have rubbed the #'s off the remote and I have blisters on my fingers------but the worse thing is-----it drove me to DRINKING

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Fox News is FTA. There have been times when it's been unscrambled temporarily, as a mistake.

katfish, you won't find them unscrambled for long, channels that exist for cable co's want MONEY! (believe me-I've been looking too)
They're on c-band and ku, but scrambled. You'll find some of their live feeds on 99west, Galaxy 16ku sometimes.
Don't trash the system though-you'll find plenty of other interesting channels to watch.

I have seen Fox News open from time to time but it certainly hasn't been often.

I've got a friend that wants it and would ditch cable in an instant if he thought he'd be able to get it regularly.

So aside from Fox News, there is still a lot of worthwhile stuff to watch on FTA so perhaps you should look at
SatelliteGuys.US - TheList in the Ku band section and find something else that interests you. Then we can help you tune it in! You have certainly not wasted $350, you WILL get some enjoyment out of it and we can help you do that. :)

katfish,

I don't think you wasted your money.
There are a lot of news feeds you can fish for.
PBS is still a great source for quality news delivery.

FOX News is scrambled, but you can still pickup the audio.
I listen to the audio without the video.

Sounds like you still need to get your FTA setup and working first.

I just purchased a complete new satellite system in hopes of being able to get FOX NEWS NETWORK on FTA. I have been scanning for a week now and haven't been able to scan up anything. At this point I would settle for Huckleberry Hound. I am not real high-tech, but this looks fairly simple,-- I can't get anything. I am missing something somewhere. I have called the Company that I purchased this unit from and they recommended me to this site. Can anyone help me, PLEASE? I am showing a signal strength of 35-39 and Quality is only 7-9----I have rubbed the #'s off the remote and I have blisters on my fingers------but the worse thing is-----it drove me to DRINKING

I'd go find the guy that sold it to me and kick his butt, first.

THEN...well, begin at the beginning...mast leveling, dish aiming, always start at your TS satellite to start, check setting in receiver to make sure your LO setting as correct...there are NUMEROUS posts here to help you, just do a search.

Too bad ya live so far from me, I could give you a hand....long way from me to you. :(

What you need is one of those satellite finders. I think they cost less than 20 bucks. It makes a noise when you hit a sat. Makes everything a lot easier.

I'd go find the guy that sold it to me and kick his butt, first.

THEN...well, begin at the beginning...mast leveling, dish aiming, always start at your TS satellite to start, check setting in receiver to make sure your LO setting as correct...there are NUMEROUS posts here to help you, just do a search.

Too bad ya live so far from me, I could give you a hand....long way from me to you. :(
Yeah---that's a pretty good drive------that's why I won't go beat the guy up that sold me this thing----He is in Canada

road trip:

Best get started before the heavy snows! - :D

All kidding aside, tell us more about your viewing habits.
Maybe we can suggest specific satellites.

I'm not sure what the guy was thinking when he sold you the equipment. He may have been referring to stealing Dish Network honestly. Of course it's illegal and not something we allow discussion of here. As far as getting Fox News without subscribing to a cable service, you can get it through 4DTV and subscribe to a package from NPS (NPS - Your One Call Solution - CBAND Satellite Programming C-band). You'll have to have a C-band dish though, normally 6 foot or larger aimed at Galaxy 3C. NPS's least expensive package including Fox News is $319 per year. This is actually something I've been considering myself once I get some stuff paid down and can grab a DSR-922 receiver. The picture quality is a lot better than anything cable, Dish, or DirecTV has to offer, and it's cheaper.

I'm not sure what the guy was thinking when he sold you the equipment. He may have been referring to stealing Dish Network honestly. Of course it's illegal and not something we allow discussion of here. As far as getting Fox News without subscribing to a cable service, you can get it through 4DTV and subscribe to a package from NPS (NPS - Your One Call Solution - CBAND Satellite Programming C-band). You'll have to have a C-band dish though, normally 6 foot or larger aimed at Galaxy 3C. NPS's least expensive package including Fox News is $319 per year. This is actually something I've been considering myself once I get some stuff paid down and can grab a DSR-922 receiver. The picture quality is a lot better than anything cable, Dish, or DirecTV has to offer, and it's cheaper.

I agree with your assessment that the video quality on 4DTV SD is superior to DishNet SD or cable SD. I have first hand experience in this area. :) But, I can't say about DirecTV since I've never subscribed to it or visited anyone that could demo it for me - but my guess is that the video quality is similar to DishNet. However, I don't know if anyone could tell the difference between DishNet HD and 4DTV HD.

:):):)If you aren't getting all your ku satellites, you probably need to visit sadoun.com and download the instructions for setting up a ku antenna/motor.

You start by finding the highest point in the arc (due south) and tuning the antenna until you get all the satellites to come in.

I haven't done it with a ku dish yet -- just c-band. You should be somewhat satisfied with what you can get on ku. If not, get a bigger dish (6 feet) and go for c-band/ku band. Its free!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

please help

Shhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)