I don't like Tivo based DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcwebman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Spring, TX
First, I am not a troll. :) I keep reading how people hate the R15 and want to go back to their Tivo based DVR's so I just wanted to give my feelings.

I have used 2 cable DVR's and the R15 and installed the HR10-250 Tivo based DVR two weeks ago. This is the first time I have had a Tivo based DVR and I hate it. Sure it has some nice features but just the basics are terrible. Perhaps I haven't found the solutions to the problems I identified below but right now I can't wait for the D* based HR20-250 to come out. If it wasn't for wanting to watch my HD locals OTA, I'd probably use the R15 primarily.

Pros:
  • I like the beeps and sounds. :D
Cons:
  • I can't find a way to have it globally save all the shows I record until I delete them. I know I can do it per show but there has to be a global setting somewhere instead of the 3 days, but I haven't found it yet. I almost lost a show last night when I saw the ! in the List icon and decided to check it out.
  • Can't see TV show while in guide since it covers most of the screen, and when in anything other than guide like List can't see or hear anything
  • Loading guide is way too slow
  • Seems like when a remote button is pressed, the unit doesn't react immediately. I sometimes have to queue up button presses before I see the actions happen, like changing the view of the guide in the Info options to a later time.
  • Recording a show takes way too long as I wait for the "Please wait" icon to leave. The R15 simply puts a R in the guide quickly and you're done.
  • Recording shows later in the day sometimes brings you back to the current time. This morning I wanted to record all the shows I wanted for tonight. I got the guide to the current time and recorded my first show. I wanted to change the option to not delete until I tell it to and when I was done with that, the guide was back to this morning's time. Aarggh! I once again slowly got to the guide for tonight and this time forgot about the delete option just so the guide would stay there.
  • Remote is difficult to hold because it's skinny in the middle. When I need to fast forward, I have to hold it with two hands so I can fast forward and then press Play. Fortunately I have a Harmony remote that has resolved that problem.
  • No caller id
  • This is D*'s fault. I think I have read through the manual but it doesn't explain everything. For example, the Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down. All the manual says is to press it to let the DVR know you like the show. What about the 2 or 3 presses? Luckily I have a Tivo friend who informed me what the 2 or 3 mean.
Jeff

the HD tivo is slow. It would be greatly improved if it got the 6.2 software but that probably will not happen. Also I with the save till you delete. If you setup a season pass and go to more options you can set it there so when it records that show it saves till u delete.

So the only way to do a global save till you delete is to do it for each show on a season pass?

The only other way to do it is if you tell it to record the show you can select options and it will come up but again thats on a show by show basis. There is no way to tell the tivo to keep until you delete for everyshow

I'm with you, but until directv fixes the R15, I'm stuck with it. I can live without video in guide, but how slow the guide is kills me. The resetting the time when your browsing the guide really pisses me off too. I'm in love with the 30 second skip though. I'll have the best of both worlds once directv fixes the R15 :)

Last edited:
I have a DVR40 and a HD10-250. The 6.2 code on the DVR40 is much faster, and I love the folders. Even so, I still like the HR10-250 better than the buggy R15 I tried out at Circuit City. That thing seemed possesed. I'll take slow any day.

Ted

ncted said:
I have a DVR40 and a HD10-250. The 6.2 code on the DVR40 is much faster, and I love the folders. Even so, I still like the HR10-250 better than the buggy R15 I tried out at Circuit City. That thing seemed possesed. I'll take slow any day.

Ted
What software does the R10 have, and can I put this 6.2 on my R10 somehow?

Shawn

xtremetoyz said:
I'm in love with the 30 second skip though. I'll have the best of both worlds once directv fixes the R15 :)

And your heard this would DEFINATELY get added to the R15 from??? :confused:
I wouldn't hold your breath - there IS a reason why it's NOT on there now... ;)

dishrich said:
And your heard this would DEFINATELY get added to the R15 from??? :confused:
I wouldn't hold your breath - there IS a reason why it's NOT on there now... ;)
No one, instead I'll just have two working DVR's when the R15 is fixed :)

EDIT: I did ask a tech once about the sluggishness of the FF/RW/Play buttons as well as a 30 second skip. They hinted at it being on future DVR's by DirecTV. I think he even went as far to say it would be on an R20? This is all speculation though, im sure.

xtremetoyz said:
What software does the R10 have, and can I put this 6.2 on my R10 somehow?

Shawn

The R10 is a Tivo-based SD DVR AFAIK, so should it not have gotten the 6.2 code along with the other non-HD Tivos?

To check your version from your remote:

DirecTV -> Messages & Setup -> System Information

Look for Software Version in the information listed.

Ted

ncted said:
The R10 is a Tivo-based SD DVR AFAIK, so should it not have gotten the 6.2 code along with the other non-HD Tivos?

To check your version from your remote:

DirecTV -> Messages & Setup -> System Information

Look for Software Version in the information listed.

Ted
I'll certainly check when I get home, but I can't answer your question. I'm a newb to tivo's and all I know is my tivo is a slug.

Happy Camper said:
They will have to pry our three TiVos from my cold, dead fingers. TiVo software is one of the great advancements in television.

I somewhat agree, Tivo is the main reason I chose D* over E* when I swithced to Satellite TV. Now D* is going to want a 2 year lease for me to switch over to the untested MPEG4 HDVR? Suffice to say, I will not be an early adopter. I plan on hanging on to my HDTIVO as long as I can until I see how things pan out. Then I will decide once again between E* & D*.

I got kind of lost in this software version code info as to what model should have what. I looked at my HR10-250 last night and it had 3.1.5f-01-2-357, certainly no where near 6.2. Is that what others are?

Any show with the ! icon in the list will only be deleted if there is no room on the disk and you have a scheduled recording come in (it won't be deleted for a suggestion). Just because it's there doesn't mean it's going to be deleted that night, it could be there indefinitely assuming there's room....it's just an fyi..

dcwebman said:
Cons:
  • I can't find a way to have it globally save all the shows I record until I delete them. I know I can do it per show but there has to be a global setting somewhere instead of the 3 days, but I haven't found it yet. I almost lost a show last night when I saw the ! in the List icon and decided to check it out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HD Tivo / Lease Question

Hd100-200-300

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)