HR20-700 Polarity Problem: won't record on 2 channels at same time

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjmartintx

Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
FYI should you have this problem: My HR20-700 installed fine but would not record on two channels at once. All diagnostics indicated both tuners were ok and were connected, but the satellite signal test showed zero signal on every other transponder on Tuner 2 (which the techies called a "polarity problem"). D* had no idea why. They replaced the tuner twice! Same problem. After 4 service visits (wait all afternoon of course) and countless calls to the tech center, today's technician finally solved the problem. He removed the two in-line filters that D*'s phone center said were absolutely critical to keep the box from blowing up. Now it works fine. Who knows ....?

Many of the BBand converters (those filters you are talking about) are bad. You should get replacements from D*. They are not needed now but they will be needed with the 2 new KA sats that go up next year.

Many of the BBand converters (those filters you are talking about) are bad. You should get replacements from D*. They are not needed now but they will be needed with the 2 new KA sats that go up next year.

And are currently needed if you get MPEG4 programming.

And are currently needed if you get MPEG4 programming.

No they are NOT currently needed for MPEG-4. The b-band converters will only be needed when the new satellites DirecTV 10 and 11 are launched next year, because they will transmit signals in the Ka-lo band. The b-band converters move the Ka-lo signals into the Ka-hi band so the receivers can process them.

So you are picking up KA band signals without these ???

I was previously led to believe that they were required for any KA signals.
This is getting more complicatted by the day, it's no wonder there are people with mpeg4 issues...
Maybe I CAN get some mpeg 4 signals if I remove them, from what your saying...
I would be happy being able to SEE a mpeg4 picture.
Kinda pisses me off knowing I could have stayed with my old stuff all this time, I was told I would receive my mpeg4 channels when I purchased this set up. I have spent this money and added exactly 0 channels since, I don't even know if the mpeg4 is working .
Why is there NO MPEG4 TEST CHANNEL ?

Jimbo

I got the HR20 with the knowledge I might not have any MPEG4 channels until next year. My HD locals are "on the list" to be added but whatever, hasn't happened yet. I don't listen to anything a CSR says, they don't know anything. ;)

Anyway, yes, you do *not* need the B-Band converters currently to receiver MPEG4 from the spaceway KA sats up there now. But the new DirecTV 10 and 11 KA sats going up next year will require them. BUT, if you aren't having any problems with them now then it doesn't make sense to remove them, just keep them on there and you won't have to worry about it in the future.

MPEG-4 is only being used today for the local HD channels (and for the lucky few, RSNs like NESN in HD). If you are getting local HD, you have MPEG-4. Next year when the DirecTV 10 and 11 satellites are launched, DirecTV will start transmitting MPEG-4 signals in the Ka-lo band and you will then need the b-band converters. We also expect DirecTV 10 and 11 to start carrying a range of national HD channels which will be MPEG-4.

If you are supposed to be receiving local HD and are having problems, removing the b-band converter can solve the problem if you have a faulty b-band converter, a number of people have reported this. Of course if it is faulty you need to get DirecTV to replace it because you will need it next year.

MPEG-4 is only being used today for the local HD channels (and for the lucky few, RSNs like NESN in HD). If you are getting local HD, you have MPEG-4. Next year when the DirecTV 10 and 11 satellites are launched, DirecTV will start transmitting MPEG-4 signals in the Ka-lo band and you will then need the b-band converters. We also expect DirecTV 10 and 11 to start carrying a range of national HD channels which will be MPEG-4.

If you are supposed to be receiving local HD and are having problems, removing the b-band converter can solve the problem if you have a faulty b-band converter, a number of people have reported this. Of course if it is faulty you need to get DirecTV to replace it because you will need it next year.

OK, so I am getting my local DC channels through my HR20 rather than OTA. That means my Mpeg4 is working? I don't understand all this KA band, etc. but just rolling with the punches here. Not much problem except some pixelation and my wife says sometimes the voice doesn't match the picture.

Yes, if you have HD locals through your HR20 these are MPEG-4.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ordered HR20 - Easy Install?

Why No Significantly Viewed Locals in HD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts