HR10-250 Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bimplebean

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
Los Angeles
I have DirecTV with a DirecTivo HR-10. I am interesed in moving up to HDTV but can't afford all the pieces yet. I have a line on an HR10-250 now for a good price; my hope is to use it for SD now and use it for HD later.

So, my questions:

• Can I use the HR10-250 with my standard satellite line and standard def TV for now?
  • Can I upgrade the satellite dish later and STILL use my SD TV?
  • What's the deal about MPEG2 vs MPEG4? I understand the HR10-250 can handle MPEG2 but not MPEG4. Are local channels in Los Angeles MPEG2 or MPEG4?

I hear so many awful things about the new DVRs. My impression is that if it's not TiVo it stinks. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance for all your questions!

Barry

I use the HR10-250 with the 3 LNB dish and use it with a SD TV.
I believe it can also be used with the 5 LNB dish. You'll still pick up the 101, 110 and 119 off it, but not the 99 and 103 satellites.
The four LA network stations are in MPEG2 on the 101 and 119 satellites and on either the 99 or 103 satellite in MPEG4.

Thanks. I'm not sure what you mean about the numbered satellites, though. If I understand correctly, the HR10-250 only records MPEG2, not 4, but local HD stations in LA are MPEG2, correct?

HR 10-250 Questions

Thanks. I'm not sure what you mean about the numbered satellites, though. If I understand correctly, the HR10-250 only records MPEG2, not 4, but local HD stations in LA are MPEG2, correct?

The numbered satellites refer to the relative positions of the satellites in the Southern sky. The 101 satellite is at 101 degrees on the compass, the 99 at 99 degrees and so forth.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chicago WGN The CW- Now available in MPEG-4 HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)