How things have changed

I did call recently and check on the Fiber deal and the guy was rushing through each part of his sales deal and asking me to verbally say ok to each thing. It sounded like a lot of legal mumbo jumbo and I asked him to slow down a bit and he kept adding things I would need to get wifi through out my house and I would need extenders at $10.00 each on top of the price of the internet package. He then said we are almost through all the sections he needed to get through, but I felt that it didn't feel right. I told him to cancel it. He tried another three times to get me to go with ATT but I told him not at this time. I have had good service with Spectrum and they are always willing to give me a deal for a year with a price lock. I have had Spectrum since 2008. But if I ever can't get a deal I will look into it again and see if it is any better.
that sucks. sounds like you were being upsold on a bunch of crap you don't need. Comcast does that to me too and I'm just like "can I please have X without everything else." and then you get the spiel about how your service won't be optimal unless you cave. It's so predatory. This is why we need to stop with this BS and just label internet services as a utility

I find it rather weird how the society seems keen & quick to give special deals & discounts specifically to "seniors"- these are the people who by & large have the money in this country to begin with. Shouldn't it be the youth, struggling to launch, who would be better beneficiaries?
While some seniors have the money, don't go thinking it is the majority. That's just naive...

Shouldn't it be the youth, struggling to launch, who would be better beneficiaries?
No.

Most of us seniors NEVER were given anything "free" working our way UP, and as you say, we "have all (some of) the money". That's because we WORKED our asses off over 40~ years (42 in my case) to get to that point. At least some of us have. I was separation-retired a few months before age 58, still retired at 65.5, and STILL not collecting Social Security.

GIVE money to kids today, and ALL you'll have is a bunch of drunken, or drugged sluggards that'll NEVER work for anything. Why should they then? It's all given to them!

There are deals out there if you are willing to haggle a bit and wait on the line.
That is entirely dependent on the market. Spectrum has said publicly they are not going to haggle with existing customers in NC in areas where the fiber providers are moving in. My parents have also found this to be true where they live in NY.

I find it rather weird how the society seems keen & quick to give special deals & discounts specifically to "seniors"- these are the people who by & large have the money in this country to begin with. Shouldn't it be the youth, struggling to launch, who would be better beneficiaries?
I think if you lived long enough to become a senior citizen, you should get a discount out of respect for your age and supposed wisdom that comes with it. I am damn glad to get my D.Q. discount and tell them: Be sure to give me my old fart discount on my bill. :biggrin2

That is entirely dependent on the market. Spectrum has said publicly they are not going to haggle with existing customers in NC in areas where the fiber providers are moving in. My parents have also found this to be true where they live in NY.
Must be your area. I have got this deal for the second year now. I tried to get back down to the lowest speed to get the cheaper price and they said that is only for new customers, but gave me a cheaper deal to stay with them. Which is cheaper anyway. I just tell them that I will go with ATT if they don't and pull up their pricing off their site to refer to and they approve it for another year.

I think if you lived long enough to become a senior citizen, you should get a discount out of respect for your age and supposed wisdom that comes with it. I am damn glad to get my D.Q. discount and tell them: Be sure to give me my old fart discount on my bill. :biggrin2
At what point do these Discounts start ?

Retirement, 62, 65, 70 ?????

Seems any time I inquire about one, its older than I am, regardless.

In Ohio, it's 55 I think. The "Buckeye Club" was what it used to be called. It was a 10% discount. I only know this because I worked at Wendy's for years in the late 90's, and grumpy old guys used to come in and say "BUCKEYE CLUB" if for some reason we failed to identify them as over 55 on sight :coco And heaven forbid you ask somebody if they have the discount and they AREN'T yet 55.

Edit: I guess it's 60 now (or 18-59 if disabled): https://aging.ohio.gov/about-us/learn-about-golden-buckeye/get-a-golden-buckeye-card-1

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimbo

Since I first retired at age 52, what about those that retire early in life?

But since I returned to work at 56, do I then lose any discounts?

Seinfeld Soup GIF

• Haha
Reactions: MikeD-C05 and ncted

With Dairy Queen it was 55 and you get a 10% off on your order. With AARP there are discounts on selected services if you are a member. I have the 55+ plan with T-mobile and I get unlimited everything for two phones and my basic Netflix plan for $70.00 a month with taxes included.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

But since I returned to work at 56, do I then lose any discounts?
I don't think you lose them if you get older or return to work. I retired at 59 and 1/2 from working and have been getting the D.Q. 10% discount on my order since I was 55. If you get their app you can use your receipts with the qr code for 5 trips and it will give you a $5.00 discount off your bill.

I don't think you lose them if you get older or return to work. I retired at 59 and 1/2 from working and have been getting the D.Q. 10% discount on my order since I was 55. If you get their app you can use your receipts with the qr code for 5 trips and it will give you a $5.00 discount off your bill.
I was being sarcastic.

Replacing Dish Network Options?

Profiles starting to show up - DTVS