How do I split signal

IPAonTAP

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Buffalo, NY
I have a legacy dish 500 set up with legacy LNB's, and another legacy dish at 65 deg. All switches are located outside, I do not know what they are. I have 2 satellite cables running to my basement, where I then have the connections to my receivers. I currently feed an 811 receiver in the living room, and a DishPlayer 7200 in the bedroom. I also have an old model 5000 receiver in a office, that I would like to feed by splitting the signal before the DishPlayer. I have tried a standard cable splitter, but this did not work. Could somebody tell me what I need to split this signal?

You can't split a legacy signal. You need to go to menu 6-1-1 check switch and let us know what type of switch configuration your using.

I will check switch configuration when I get home tonight. Thanks for the quick responses. It sounds like I need to run another line into the house though.

Thanks, I will check that site. I did check switch configuration. I have a SW21 - 3 SAT. Is there any way to connect a 3rd receiver without running an additional line from my roof (dish location) to my basement?

IPAonTAP said:
Thanks, I will check that site. I did check switch configuration. I have a SW21 - 3 SAT. Is there any way to connect a 3rd receiver without running an additional line from my roof (dish location) to my basement?
If you have a SW-21 3 sat you are maxed out. You have a Twin(2 receivers max) with a SW-21 connecting a third satellite location. The SW-21 says you have a Legacy system. If you want to connect a third receiver you can replace the Twin with a Quad ($100-150) and if you want three satellites you need to add another SW-21 but you side dish only has a max of two receivers you need to add a Directv 3 X 4 multiswitch(another $50). Yes you will have to run another cable from the dish. :)

To upgrade from your config to 3 rcvrs you need to remove the twin and install 2 legacy duals. Then replace the 2 SW21's with a SW64.

The easiest and probably cheapest way to do it is to call dish and pay for them to add the third rcvr. Usually all the LNBF's and Switches are included. Two hours of labor is cheaper than the headache and expense of 2 duals and a SW64.

811 program guide

Retailer Chat this THURSDAY!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts