How do I find a GOOD installer?

Stacy8669

Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
I am planning to start a satellite sales business, but until I have enough business to hire my own installers, I am considering contracting with an installer. I have read a few threads on this site discussing how the low fees currently being paid have brought out a ton of unskilled and unprofessional installers who are willing to work for next to nothing.

I plan to sell systems to homeowners before their homes are built, so I will be delivering homes that are wired correctly for the buyers needs. I don't anticipate that any additional wires will need to be pulled, so I think my installations should be pretty easy.

I'm wondering how to find those good installers, who know what they are doing, and will do a professional job. Any suggestions?

If you have a good knowledge yourself you should be able to weed out the weenies during the interview process. Based upon your target market you should be able to find a good electrician or two to meet the needs of a pre-wire.

I just taught my neighbor (an electrician) how to do a proper and pretty install, on his house, this last weekend. His was easy though, just a DirecTiVo and 2 std receivers, but you would never know he has satellite if for for the dish.

I guess to "make sure" put in the ad they need to be certified installers.

SBCA certification and state licensure are a good start, but are no guarantees. I know a lot of good installers that are neither (and quite a few bad ones that retain the former). Get a good working knowledge of the requirements for the brand of service you intend to deliver and then interview both in person and from a list of referrals that the installer provides. Do site surveys on those referrals to see what the workmanship, craftsmanship and adheration of local laws and statutes have been followed and how they will apply to the service you wish to provide for your customers. If if you find the best installer in the world, you still will need to QC behind him to make sure they don't put on a good act and do substandard work as soon as your back is turned.

Picture quality - Satellite w/coax versus cable

Know of a good research site?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)