Hotel Installation Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gilmotta

Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Atlanta
We do computer networking and data communication for Hotels only. This is my first TV installation for a hotel.
I understood that I need one receiver per channel that I want to receive and then I should combine all signals using combiner and distribute using CATV amplifier via coax.

Where should I buy all the equipment needed? I saw a lot of people selling the D10 receiver for $29. Is the D10 good enough? At this price I think we can start with 50 receivers. Then how many dishes and LNBs do I need? I have never seen a LNB bigger than 4. for fifty I would need 13x 4 LNBs.

Thank you very much for your input.

You do realize that you have to be approved by D* to activate these "commercial" type of accounts. The receivers are usually supplied by the distributor you are set up through to sell commercial service as well. (as well as the ancillary equipment you're going to need)
It would probably be prudent that you find out exactly WHAT prog you're planning on putting on the system (as well as how it's packaged, since it is NOT packaged like residential accounts) BEFORE you start buying receivers. Have you asked the hotel exactly WHICH channels they are expecting?

Then how many dishes and LNBs do I need? I have never seen a LNB bigger than 4. for fifty I would need 13x 4 LNBs.

That's what multiswitches are for...

You also would get better info here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/install-entry.htm

boards.dishretailer.com

Hotel Installation

Thanks for your help. My customer just wants either Directv In-Room or Dishnetwork. they would like to have 40 to 60 channels.

So are you saying that if I buy the receivers from eBay or somebody in this forum D* will not activate them?!

Thanks for your help. My customer just wants either Directv In-Room or Dishnetwork. they would like to have 40 to 60 channels.

So are you saying that if I buy the receivers from eBay or somebody in this forum D* will not activate them?!

No, I'm saying perhaps if you want to start "dabbling" in the commercial DBS market, maybe you should "dabble" by getting some residential installs under your belt, THEN work up to something like this. A "professional" headend installer (which is EXACTLY what you're trying to do here) does NOT buy receivers from flea-bay or "somebody off an internet board" - they would also already know something as basic as you do NOT need 13 dishes on the roof to hook up 50 sat boxes - but hey, if the hotel doesn't care, go for it! :eek:

There IS a reason why (most) satellite installers do NOT (normally) do IT networking - as well as why IT installers (should) NOT be installing a SMATV headend...

IF you have to ask these questions you are not ready to bid this work. Don't sign anything..............every wired a large site before?

Do you know anything bout the existing wire? Who installed it? Is there an existing management deal for he cabling?

Which 40 to 60 channels? How will tenants pay for these? How do you get rid of the channels that are never ordered

How much did you expect to pay per month per channel?

Guys this is a little joke!

Joe

I'm sorry I meant no offense here. it is my first bid into the big install. We are Cisco and Microsoft certified engineers with 20 plus years in networking/cabling and Wi-Fi/WAN.

We are taking over an existing install since the previous installer dropped the ball and the Hotel wants to give us an opportunity because they are happy with our services and technology.

I asked for a distributor and I never meant to buy anything used but I wrongfully used eBay as an example. I apologize.

I wish there was a Satellite Tv University and I would be there taking a course on big installs instead I came to this forum looking for some light.

I'm sorry I meant no offense here. it is my first bid into the big install. We are Cisco and Microsoft certified engineers with 20 plus years in networking/cabling and Wi-Fi/WAN.

We are taking over an existing install since the previous installer dropped the ball and the Hotel wants to give us an opportunity because they are happy with our services and technology.

I asked for a distributor and I never meant to buy anything used but I wrongfully used eBay as an example. I apologize.

I wish there was a Satellite Tv University and I would be there taking a course on big installs instead I came to this forum looking for some light.

Guys,

You were mistaken for the many tech shallow operators that prowel the industry. Sorry.

For your project the engineering guys at Solid Signal or Sonora can give you guidance and sell you the stuff you need. For the receivers P -10 probably has a reseller in your job area.

Hope this is a next step for you.

Joe

Again, I want to apologize for saying something bad here. I called D* and I'm starting the process to become a commercial retailer. If all goes well we would like to offer turn-key solutions to our customers in the hospitality industry. We only deal with hotels. We understand their computer networking and Wi-Fi needs and from time to time they ask us if we can do their DBS installation as well. We always stayed out but this time I decided to give it a try and increase our revenue.

D* said over the phone that they will train us but I would like to get started as soon as possible because the customer is in trouble.

I am thinking about hiring an experienced DBS installer.

I hope this is a profitable business. Should we sell the equipment or lease it to our customers? I love the idea of a recurring fee.

The company that did the Hotel is gone, they are not sure if the own or lease the equipment they only get a bill from D* for the programming. I did not see charges for their receivers.

Anyways, I want to thank you all for your assistance and I'm sorry for talking non-sense but as the login name in this forum indicates I'm a 'newbie'

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Why I love DirecTV

less games?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)