Horrible Installation Tech?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hckyfn80

Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
California
I’ve been with DTV for going on 6 years and the last 3 I have had my dish setup on a tripod on 2nd floor apartment balcony with no problem. I recently moved to a different complex. I made sure that this unit, also 2nd floor, was facing the same direction as my old location. I called Mover’s Connection and they sent an installation tech out yesterday (2/5).

The tech had a noon – 4pm window and showed up at 5pm. He took 2 steps through the front door and said, “this is an apartment, I can’t install in an apartment.” What? After we squashed that ridiculous objection, he took another two steps onto the balcony and declared that he couldn’t do the install due to line of sight problems (he claimed a wall was blocking the way). He pointed out a neighboring unit’s dish as an example of the way the dish had to face. He then left.

Here’s the issue: I did as much research as possible to ensure this unit faces the right direction. I used dishpointer.com. Per the site, my unit has clear, unobstructed line of sight to 99W through 103W (Directv-9 through Direct-12 satellites). Ironically, the neighbor’s dish the tech used as an example is Dish Network!! And it is without a doubt pointing at 119W (Dish’s Echostar XIV). So, what’s going on here? This guy is supposed to be the expert. He didn’t even try to get a signal. He also didn’t have any sort of device in hand to test if the DTV signal could be picked up from the balcony. Here’s the real kicker to me, even if I’m wrong and he is right, the 119W direction he claims DTV needs to face could easily have been achieved with a tripod right out of the front door (many other units in the complex have taken this approach).

So, what gives? Was this tech just a joke? What are my next steps? Is there a particular DTV # or department I should call? One thing is for certain – I’m missing the Super Bowl now :-( If it turns out that I can indeed get DTV here, I’m going to be hopping mad!!

Often Techs will run late but there is no excuse not to call the customer to make them aware of the possibility.

Also, there are times I can see there is no LOS without pulling out my inclinometer

However, it really sounds like you got blown off.

More then likely the tech wanted be some place else and seeing as it was 5pm he blew you off to go home.

Sorry you had a bad experience.
I would call back and reschedule.
More then likely you will get a better tech next time.
I would also check with your local HSP office and ask to speak with a supervisor.
They can find out who had the job and if you were blown off, they can handle it.

What is really sad is that job would have probably been really quick as it sounds as if you already have everything needed. Easy money

DTV Dishpointer.jpg

Here is the LOS from dishpointer.com. The vertical white stripe is simply a sidewalk and the grey box next to the sidewalk is just a carport roof (which is lower than my balcony). As you can see, there is no obstruction to 103W.

Often Techs will run late but there is no excuse not to call the customer to make them aware of the possibility.

Also, there are times I can see there is no LOS without pulling out my inclinometer

However, it really sounds like you got blown off.

More then likely the tech wanted be some place else and seeing as it was 5pm he blew you off to go home.

Sorry you had a bad experience.
I would call back and reschedule.
More then likely you will get a better tech next time.
I would also check with your local HSP office and ask to speak with a supervisor.
They can find out who had the job and if you were blown off, they can handle it.

What is really sad is that job would have probably been really quick as it sounds as if you already have everything needed. Easy money

Thanks, kjlued. I was thinking the same exact thing about him blowing us us off because he wanted to be elsewhere. Question for you - what's a local "HSP" office? I'm not sure what that stands for or how to obtain a phone number. Is that a better approach than calling DTV directly (and perhaps speaking to the cancellation/retention department and explaining the situation)?

I would do as kjlued suggested and call the local installation company and speak to a supervisor and explain your situation.

Looks fine from what I can see and you seem pretty knowledgeable of line of site but I am not the one putting it in unless you want to fly me out to Cali.

Like I said, call back and reschedule.

Also contact the local HSP and tell them what happened.

Maybe if more people call on bad techs, something will be done.

Now I am not defending anyone here, and I think he probably blew it off as well. But

This guy could be working for one of those companies that love to QC the apartment jobs and then back charge because it does not meet code.

Or

He does not feel like getting into the argument that the customer has to pay for the tripod and flat cables to do the job. He may not have even had them due to the fact that Directv gives the tech no indication that it is an apartment installation. So at 5 he may have had a hard time even getting them. Certainly he could have explained that he did not have the materials if that was the case.

Question for you - what's a local "HSP" office?

Sorry, missed that question

HSP = Home Service Provider (DirecTv)
RSP = Regional Service Provider (Dish Network)

Both are the same thing just named differently.

What they are is the companies that provide the installations in a particular area.
In my area, it is Mastec for DirecTv.
Although I don't work for Mastec, I still have to answer to them.
If I screw up, they could stop providing me with work.

I don't know who holds the contract for your area, but I am sure somebody here could provide you with that information.

Or, you could ask for the number to the office of the president for DirecTv.
They are usually very good with making sure appropriate actions are taken.

Or, you could get the information from the next tech that comes out.

Personally, I really hate to say it, but the best way to get action done is by calling the office of the president.

Now I am not defending anyone here, and I think he probably blew it off as well. But

This guy could be working for one of those companies that love to QC the apartment jobs and then back charge because it does not meet code.

Or

He does not feel like getting into the argument that the customer has to pay for the tripod and flat cables to do the job. He may not have even had them due to the fact that Directv gives the tech no indication that it is an apartment installation. So at 5 he may have had a hard time even getting them. Certainly he could have explained that he did not have the materials if that was the case.

Agreed, every area is different and I am fortunate that my HSP does not QC apartments like this.
I mean if you are running past ground to do the install and fail to bring it to code, they will fail it.
But if you are limited to a balcony then you will be ok without having the job to code.

If your HSP is that way, there are ways around it which we won't get in to.

As far as not having the proper materials, this is a possibility (although it sounds as if the OP may already have the stuff from his previous address).
Either way though in a situation like this, a good installer would explain the situation, have the job rescheduled and add notes to the work order.
The customer may not be happy with this but it is what it is. Even though it does not get the job done that day, it points it in the right direction.

Sorry, missed that question

Or, you could ask for the number to the office of the president for DirecTv.
They are usually very good with making sure appropriate actions are taken.

Or, you could get the information from the next tech that comes out.

Personally, I really hate to say it, but the best way to get action done is by calling the office of the president.

Thanks for the further explanation. More follow-up questions: When you say "office for the president of DirecTv" are you referring to something like corporate headquarters? Or do you mean president of the HSP? How does one obtain this phone number? I've got to think one simply can't call the main DTV phone line and get that number.

Office of the president will be a D* corporate number and not the HSP.
The number is not hard to maintain and I am sure somebody here can either give it or the email to you.
You won't get a hold of the President himself but just one of his many staff members.

I know when somebody calls, a solution is resolved extremely fast.
It usually involves in my area a Mastec supervisor going out there that day or the next and if the install is in my routing area, me often going out there the same day as supervisor or the next day.

Basically as soon as you get a hold of somebody, you will be installed within a couple days no matter what it takes (as long as it can be done).

However, I would just try rescheduling normal first as it will most likely yield the results you are looking for.

Office of the president will be a D* corporate number and not the HSP.
The number is not hard to maintain and I am sure somebody here can either give it or the email to you.
You won't get a hold of the President himself but just one of his many staff members.

I know when somebody calls, a solution is resolved extremely fast.
It usually involves in my area a Mastec supervisor going out there that day or the next and if the install is in my routing area, me often going out there the same day as supervisor or the next day.

Basically as soon as you get a hold of somebody, you will be installed within a couple days no matter what it takes (as long as it can be done).

However, I would just try rescheduling normal first as it will most likely yield the results you are looking for.

Unfortunately, the results I was looking for was to have the installation completed yesterday so that I could enjoy the Super Bowl on my new 47" LG LCD HDTV!! Thanks for your advice though. Out of curiousity and not trying to put you on the spot, you seem to know quite a bit about the office of the president approach...have you not provided the number/email because you don't know it or because you can't due to being affiliated with the company?

I don't know it.

I will PM you my number.
If you have the dish and other equipment from your old place, I will walk you through the set up so you can catch the Super Bowl (even if it is just a temporary set up).
If not, you will have to just go some place else to watch it.

Unfortunately, the results I was looking for was to have the installation completed yesterday so that I could enjoy the Super Bowl on my new 47" LG LCD HDTV!! Thanks for your advice though. Out of curiousity and not trying to put you on the spot, you seem to know quite a bit about the office of the president approach...have you not provided the number/email because you don't know it or because you can't due to being affiliated with the company?

No chance you can get your local Fox channel ota?

No chance you can get your local Fox channel ota?

Yea go get you a cheap Wal-Mart HD antenna and a piece of premade coax. Watch the super bowl in full HD. Then take it all back when you get Direct installed.

Does anyone close by have a Directv dish you could tape into for a temp signal?

He does actually have the dish and the tripod....and even the cable but the connectors are torn off.
Which makes it even more sad that the installer did not do the job.

Interesting follow-up: so, I called D* back to schedule another tech to come out and try again (time slot is for Tuesday from noon - 4pm). According to the phone rep, the previous technician didn't even mention LOS issues in whatever he logged on the work order. Apparently he only noted that we "needed apartment complex approval." That seems pretty ridiculous to me considering there is an abundant amount of dishes all over the complex and I had my lease in hand and there is no clause prohibiting dishes whatsoever. To me, this only adds credence to the theory that the tech just didn't want to be bothered with the install. I guess we'll find out tomorrow for sure though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

The Bachelor and that extra minute

72.5 Local Market Satellite Moves for 2011

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)