Hopper Plus video/audio quality

I just don’t see how the audio and video can be as good since it’s coming from a usb cable to the hopper plus
Its a digital signal that is decoded by the Joey. The MPEG4 digital signal actually contains more data then some of the older Hoppers can display, but the newer MPEG4 HEVC decoding on the Joey Pluses can display the extra data, again which can provide a better picture then you would see coming from a Hopper 2.

Think of it like a better video card like for video games, where newer and more expensive video cards look better as they can decode and do things like shading better than a cheap video card.

Its not the same as it being an analog signal being sent over USB. The digital signal going over USB is not that big so USB can handle it with no issue. Which is also how the Joey 4's can display 4K content from Satellite (Like the recent Olympics) even though your Hopper 2 does not do 4K.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Its a digital signal that is decoded by the Joey. The MPEG4 digital signal actually contains more data then some of the older Hoppers can display, but the newer MPEG4 HEVC decoding on the Joey Pluses can display the extra data, again which can provide a better picture then you would see coming from a Hopper 2.

Think of it like a better video card like for video games, where newer and more expensive video cards look better as they can decode and do things like shading better than a cheap video card.

Its not the same as it being an analog signal being sent over USB. The digital signal going over USB is not that big so USB can handle it with no issue. Which is also how the Joey 4's can display 4K content from Satellite (Like the recent Olympics) even though your Hopper 2 does not do 4K.
Thanks. Now how do I turn on Dolby Digital on the new Joey 4. Under status it’s turned off.

OK; do tell. How do you send analog over USB other than with a ADC? OIC; it's there in the USB-C spec.
Betas me, he seemed to think that video sent over USB would be less. And sorry about the typo, sometimes when typing on the phone it changes things when its trying to figure out what I am typing. :D

Thanks. Now how do I turn on Dolby Digital on the new Joey 4. Under status it’s turned off.
It's in the android settings (top right corner of home screen) and then device preferences then display and sound then advanced sound settings then select formats then in there you can select the option of dolby digital on. then just hold the back button down to completely exit.

Betas me, he seemed to think that video sent over USB would be less. And sorry about the typo, sometimes when typing on the phone it changes things when its trying to figure out what I am typing. :D
USB 2 is supposed to handle 480Mbps which is still faster than what is needed for HD and 4K video. If I were answering, I wouldn't had known he had a Hopper 2.

It's in the android settings (top right corner of home screen) and then device preferences then display and sound then advanced sound settings then select formats then in there you can select the option of dolby digital on. then just hold the back button down to completely exit.
Thanks. It was turned on. However when you go to the diagnostic page on the receiver it says Dolby digital off. It must be set by the android tv and the status not cross over

if the jpey 4 and the plus did dolby atmo on apps like netflix id use itand the google asst worked right

Transponder

Update to Flex Regional Action Pack?