Help with using Dish Network DVR-625 for two TV's

JWillett06

Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
I have a dual LNB dish with only two cables in my house. One cable runs from the dish to the main TV and one cable runs from the dish to the bedrooms TV. There are no splitters of anykind, just two cables running to two different rooms.
My question is how can I hook up my DVR-625 to control both TV's (i.e. TV1 main TV and TV2 bedroom TV using the channel 21-60 output)without running more cable? Is there a splitter/diplexer combination I could use outside the house before the cables enter or on the back of the DVR to get this to work?:confused:
See picture attached.

Attachments

• Dvrsetup.jpg
    Dvrsetup.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,006
Last edited:
I think you must has a cable from the TV2 to the other room. As I see there more and more house builded with only a single cable from outside to the attic.

What type of receivers and satellite dish do you have now? Are you trying to replace a receiver with a 625? You can keep the cable that you have now running into those rooms. If you have a Dish Pro Plus twin or a DPP-44 switch and a DPP separator then you can put the DPP separator at the 625 to put into both satellite intputs. You cannot use the DPP separator in between two diplexers so you will have to run that wire from TV2 to the receiver's TV2 output. You would have an extra wire coming from the dish to use in the future going this route.

Another option would work with any type of dish and without the need of DPP separater. You could run two lines from the dish to your 625 then run the one that is going to TV2 to the 625 as well (3 wires total to that room). You could also run the two lines from the dish to the 625 and use a DP approved Diplexer on one of the wires (2 wires total to that room). Either way you look at it you will need two wires going to the room where the receiver is at minimum but you will not need to use additional wire. Your just having to reroute the wire coming from the dish to TV2 making that wire come from the 625 instead.

One option that you can use to keep all your wires as they are is to use the DPP separater as mentioned above and use a wireless TV video transmitter to bring the signal to the second tv. You would still have the wire coming in there for future use or if you choose to move the receiver in there instead.

Last edited:
Although I don't like to put diplexors outside you can do it. If both the cables come into the house at the same place you could do it without changing any wire runs.

You would need to use a Dish Pro Plus Twin on the dish. Then you can use the existing wires. Just take the one that is feeding the living room and put a diplexor in. The line comming from the dish will go into the SAT side. The side going to the living romm will get the IN/OUT feed. Take the line that was going from the dish to the bedroom and put it into the ANT side of the diplexor. Then at the living room use another diplexor to split back out. The SAT side of the dipleor will feed the seperator, and the TV2 output off of the 625 will go into the ANT side of the diplexor.

Stargazer said:
You cannot use the DPP separator in between two diplexers so you will have to run that wire from TV2 to the receiver's TV2 output.

See attachment from dish network installation disk.

Attachments

• 3_distributionexample7.pdf
    98 KB · Views: 966
I seen in a diagram where it said not to install it between diplexors, but that diagram does not show it in between the diplexers but on the other side of them on the receiver side, so that is a great solution. I was looking for that diagram before but couldn't locate it. I am on the retailer care site now and see why I could not find it. You have to click the arrow to the right to get 7-10. I've not put many dual tuner receivers in. Where it shows the four way splitter you can omit that for the run to the TV2. Thanks for the find.

I am curious if there is a 200 foot run of cable from dish to the receiver if I could still do this.

Last edited:
Thanks so much guys. I will confirm I have a Dish Pro Plus but if not, I'll just buy one off ebay then use the diplexer outside before the wires enter my house and inside at the 625.

JWillett06 said:
Thanks so much guys. I will confirm I have a Dish Pro Plus but if not, I'll just buy one off ebay then use the diplexer outside before the wires enter my house and inside at the 625.

More than likley you will not have a DPP if you have been installed for more than a year. What type of receivers do you have now?

Based on the initial description, a 625 and some other receiver with only 2 wires into the house, it likely is a DPP Twin. The link in post #5 will do the trick.

JWillett06, a Dish 500 does not come with "a dual LNB." The most common configurations are 2 duals; a legacy, DP or DPP Twin; or a legacy or DP Quad. It can be used with 1 dual to pull in a 3rd satellite slot (61.5, 129 or 148).

Not to beat a dead horse, but am I understanding this right?

I have an older Dish 500 Twin with 2 301 receivers. If I upgrade to a Dish Pro Plus LNB, can I run 1 coax to a separater and then to a DP625, and then the other coax to a DP301?

jassink said:
Not to beat a dead horse, but am I understanding this right?
I have an older Dish 500 Twin with 2 301 receivers. If I upgrade to a Dish Pro Plus LNB, can I run 1 coax to a separater and then to a DP625, and then the other coax to a DP301?

Yes. Works the same way, with the seperated and diplexed signal, and if you hook it to a phone line, you'll pay only the DVR fee and have 3 outlets instead of 2.

You can split the signal to as many tv's as you want and be able to turn the channels from anywhere in most houses with the UHF Pro remote but you will have to watch the same station in those rooms that you split the signal from the same tuner. This would be a good solution for some as there may only be two or three people in the same house but maybe five rooms they want hooked up to a tv. They could just go to whichever room they want to in order to watch television.

Just as a final follow up, I purchased two diplexers and installed them according to the diagram "The Tate" posted and the very good description "Dave nye" gave me and everything is working perfectly. They must have upgraded my dish to the Dish Pro Plus when I argued for 2 days getting my free DVR installed (which I did get by the way).

As to "jassink's" question, you are correct but you will also have another option as I found out. You can have your 625 as your only receiver if you like and get rid of all other boxes which also eliminates all those extra receiver fees Dish Network likes to charge. That is the option I wanted and achieved thanks to everyone's help here. This option allows you to use the DVR function on all TV's. However the other option is to use the second line out of the Dish Pro Plus and run it directly to a bedroom with your DP301 and you will then have the ability to watch a TV show on your DVR, record a different TV show in the background using your DVR and also watch whatever you want on your other TV hooked up to the DP301.

Thanks again guys!!!

Last edited:

Tips and Tricks, Where Did They Go?

new guy with questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)