Help using a satellite finder

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kaks

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2006
I bought this satellite finder "DLS 734-A" could someone explain me how to use it.

I am using it on a "Fortec Star Single Universal KU Band LNBF" I dont know hot to set the sensibility. I dont know how to useit. please help.

Attach the meter (with the receiver unplugged) inline between the LNBF and the satellite receiver. Plug in and turn on the satellite receiver, then turn the sensitivity knob up as high as you can untill the meter just starts to move up the scale. Then as you scan the sky and the dish points towards a satellite, the meter will rise in value. If the meter goes past the end of the sacle, then turn down your sensitivity. This will get you close to the satellite, then use your Quality meter on your television display to fine adjust your dish and skew of the LNBF for maximum quality. Remember, adjust for maximum Quality, not signal on your television display. You must have your satellite receiver set to an active channel for the quality meter to display any value.

How do I know if I have the best quality, when the niddle goes all the way up?

When the needle goes all the way up turn the dial down a bit, until the needle is at the halfway position. Then move the dish slightly to see if you can get any more signal quality.

It will not work for you if the meter is pegged/peaked out when pointing the dish.

The meter will get you close, but to peak the dish for the maximum QUALITY you need to set up a TV and view the signal strength screen on your satellite receiver. There should be a screen that has a SIGNAL STRENGTH meter as well as a QUALITY meter. (not familar with your satellite receiver) It is the QUALITY setting to peak the dish to.

Quality

kaks said:
How do I know if I have the best quality, when the niddle goes all the way up?

Hi
Read Larry's post again plz. When the needle on the meter goes up, you turn the sensitivity knob on the meter DOWN again. When you have peaked the meter, use the QUALITY METER BUILT INTO THE RECEIVER to finish tuning
Luck
jeff

help

Im sorry but I forgot to mention that im using the Twinhand 102g pci card. and I cant see the the monitor from up the top of my house. I also wanted to ask if there was a program that would help mw find the satellite instead of scanning to see what satellite I found? thankyou

if you use a specific TP. from a satellite of your choice then the only satellite you will find will be the one you chose........

(When using a TV and the signal Quality meter)

Let us know if that meter works with your Universal LNBF, some do not!

Help

I dont even know if it works. I dont know how to useit. When i plug it in and I search for satellites the dedle goes up and down and beebs, I think it works becouse if it didnt worked it wouldnt do nothing.(i think) what doest it mean when the neddle is bibrating up and down not too apart?

Maybe background noise, you have to move the dish left and right while watching the signal meter (and up and down if needed) . When the needle rises you are getting close to a satellite. When the needle drops you are moving away from a satellite. The dial is like a volume control. When the needle goes off the scale (highest it can go) turn it down slightly. As mentioned above these meters will get you in the ball park but the signal quality meter on the receiver/TV is a MUST to do the fine tuning.

I want to ask a question . Is it possible to use a motor for my antenna using my twinhan 102g? Would this make it more easy for me to find the sattelites.

Motor will work with the card (I use a DVB World USB card and that has the DiSEqc 1.2 function to motor a dish)

After set up yes it will help find the satellites, but you will still have to find and store your true South satellite (and a few more ) before thinking about adding a motor to the scenario!

If you have not setup a dish before, then the motor will only make it more complicated for trying to find a signal. I would suggest, try aligning the dish first without a motor and when you think you have that mastered, then think about adding a motor.

kaks said:
I want to ask a question . Is it possible to use a motor for my antenna using my twinhan 102g? Would this make it more easy for me to find the sattelites.

It is possible, but extremely difficult. If you are thinking of adding a motor, I suggest you setup and align the motorized dish using a stand alone receiver instead of the 102G. Try borrowing one from a friend if you can. Once you have the Clarke Belt arc tracked, then connect your motor to the 102G card.

Also, make sure your PC has a 450W+ power supply.

I wonder if there is a program that would change sound as the quility goes higher? That along with a family radio should work?

Good luck.

kaks said:
Im sorry but I forgot to mention that im using the Twinhand 102g pci card. and I cant see the the monitor from up the top of my house. I also wanted to ask if there was a program that would help mw find the satellite instead of scanning to see what satellite I found? thankyou

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Noob Free-To-Air satellite question

Scanning for FTA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)