Help me find a good use for this dish :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scottc98

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Columbus, OH
All,

I have a Channel master 76cm eliptical dish that I have laying around that I'd like to find a good use for. Measurements are about 26 in height and 36 in width. Lnb arm is about 16 in in length. I already have a Fortec 80cm dish with a sm3d12 motor in use. Would this dish be better than the fortec I have (would require a new motor)? Only thing I can think of is for a secondary sat (stationary) on a select sat (may be able to get two at one set location ??) but that won't matter until I get a new DVB card.

What about for a location that my motor can't hit (23W<motor<143W) would it be good to hit telstar 12 (15W) or would hit need to be larger?

What about the microbud project? Would it work for C-Band?

I've uploaded some pics. If anyone has any ideas, please respond.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• channelmaster dish.jpg
    channelmaster dish.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 260
  • Dish mount.jpg
    Dish mount.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 187
looks just like a Primestar dish :)

You could pretty much do anything you desribed above :)

I have a fixed dish at G10 for easy acess aklong with a motorized setup

It's good for some snowy pictures on c-band. Some are quite good actually. Digital feeds on c-band won't work at least for me. I recommend a satellite that has strong signals for it too be stationary

landlocked said:
Hey Scott -- greeting from Dublin, OH. If we had ever gotten any snow around here you could have used it for a sled! :)

Yeah :)

its the damm weather around here lately that has stopped me from getting on the roof and fixing my motorized dish (alignment)
If its going to be wet out, at least it could be snow!

Iceberg,

I've been reading a little of the microbud thread. Would this dish be good for just the FTA channels on G10 (outdoor net, MTV,feeds, etc) or would it work for a partial 4DTV subscription? I've seen a lot of channels on G10 and G14 that would completely satisfy my needs and rid me of cable. I should also be able to sub to the KU channels and use the motorized dish for those.

You think that its possible or would the signal be too low for a steady clean feed?

MikeI,

Can you recommend some TP's and sats that would have a strong enough signal? If its just analog, then an investment in a analog receiver and lnb shouldn't be too much $. Just would like to see what avaliable before putting the work in installing the dish (and if you've seen my previous threads, its been a pain putting a dish at my house :) )

Last edited:
to subscribe to the KU stuff for 4DTV you need to have a C-Band dish to download the channels (a 6 footer minimum)

You can use that dish for KU analog or monkey around as MikeI said and get some C-Band stuff

Iceberg said:
to subscribe to the KU stuff for 4DTV you need to have a C-Band dish to download the channels (a 6 footer minimum)

You can use that dish for KU analog or monkey around as MikeI said and get some C-Band stuff

So basically you and mikeI are looking at the DVB C-cband channels (i.e outdoor net from G10) using your reg DVB equip (pansat, coolsat, dvb card, etc) and a seperate Analog receiver for the analog channels? Is that a correct assesment?
Is there a resource for tp strengths or is everyone just searching and recording their results?

yes. Once I get my 6 footer up and running I will use that for C-Band analog & digital. Right now I use the setup for KU analog (there are analog feeds on a few KU satellites).

One last question: Which would be better for KU signal strength: The ChannelMaster dish or my fortec 80cm?

(Could of sworn that I asked this question already but I can't find my post)

This dish looks like the GLOBECAST dish we carry with a Channel Master logo. CM actually manufactures the Globecast dish.

It is a good dish and should work fine for KU band signal. Not big enough for C-band or microBUD.

but will I see a difference in signal strength between the two?

A big question since the motor I have now fits the fortec and not the channelmaster. So I guess I am trying to figure out if its worth the hassle

scottc98 said:
but will I see a difference in signal strength between the two?

Not really. With oval dishes, what matters is the height of the dish. In your case, this dish is only 26".

I think the Globecast Dish we carry is a little bigger.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Add a C-band dish or a 4:2:2 receiver?

Antenna bumping with a Fortec NA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)