Help ASAP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

changed

Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
Eagle Rock VA
I am having DirecTV installed as we speak. I wanted to HD setup but the installer is telling me that he cannot get a signal anywhere for this I do live in the mountains and I had Direct in the past during the summer when leaves grew out I would lose locals. He is going to istall the regular dish since I cannot get HD. Has anybody else had this isssue and is there anyway around it so I can get HD? He mentioned that they are putting a new sattelite up soon but doesn;t know when? He said that I could get a signal then but Direct will charge me for HD upgrade the guy seems new so wondering if he has anyother options?

Probably a lack of knowledge on his part. The 101 satellite is what he should be putting up a dish for that is the old stand by location. 99 is 2 degrees to the east and 103 is 2 degrees to the west. 99 & 103 are the high definition satellites. If he can get 101 there is a good chance he can get 99 & 103 also but I can't see your site.

He mentioned there was several sattalites and he coulcn't get any of them as far as HD and my locals go. But he can get just a regular set up for me with no HD. I had the same problem with Dishnetwork thats why I wanted to changed back to direct....

If he can do a "regular" setup for DIrectv then he can do a HD setup. As boba noted, the HD sats are only 2 degrees on each side of the "main" satellite

I will ask him whats up then. He is still here. He called his boss about it to thats why I figured he was legit in what he was saying but I am clueless on the stuff. He said he would make more money off of the HD setup then the regular so figured he would do what he could.

If there is a persistent hole in the tree canopy, you should be able to get HD. If there isn't, you're going to have to look elsewhere for your HD programming needs. DIRECTV uses Ka band for their HD (and some SD) programming and the higher frequency has absolutely no tolerance for leaves and twigs.

Because Roanoke SD LIL come from 119W, you're supposed to be able to see that satellite to finish the installation. I have trouble believing that a Slimline dish is not as good at 119W as a "older" dish, but it might be.

So why didn't he put up the new Slimline lnb set up that only hits the , and , that's what you need for your HD, as others have said, if he can get the he can get the other two.

So why didn't he put up the new Slimline lnb set up that only hits the , and , that's what you need for your HD, as others have said, if he can get the he can get the other two.

If your market requires 119 for locals, our HSP offices dont even have ka/ku3 lnbs, and the guide data comes off the 119 as well in this case, if theres no line for 119 on a high deff install and you need the 119 for market purposes, your gonna have alot of problems, again im not at your house, but it sounds like hes making the right decision.

to expand upon this (this is what im told from my office, not sure whether its true or not) when you put up a ka/ku dish and not the ka/ku3 the receivers will use the 119 sat for guide data because it has the least amount of traffic on it nation wide currently. If you have no los for that bird and install the dish anyway you will start to see alot of 920 errors. and that basically means that the guide wont update anymore. its like the first 24 hours of setup, where you have title not avail, unannounced, etc. well think of having that on random channels all the time, and if the receiver cant tell whats on the channel, when you tune to that channel it will show a 920 error. think about what this would do to dvrs (yikes) so if your missing the 119 on a high deff install, you need to use a ka/ku3 dish (3lnb) that will force guide updates to the 101, problem is it will also prevent you from ever getting locals, and if the 119 carries locals in that market, the techs prob dont have access to that lnb.

edit, this is just what im told, but i have rolled on service calls out in jersey where locals are from nyc on the 101 and corrected 920 errors by changing the lnb (the case was the cust did not have los for 119)

To my knowledge the 110 carries only spanish programming, and the 119 carries only locals in select markets, legacy hd, and guide data.

I am having DirecTV installed as we speak. I wanted to HD setup but the installer is telling me that he cannot get a signal anywhere for this I do live in the mountains and I had Direct in the past during the summer when leaves grew out I would lose locals. He is going to istall the regular dish since I cannot get HD. Has anybody else had this isssue and is there anyway around it so I can get HD? He mentioned that they are putting a new sattelite up soon but doesn;t know when? He said that I could get a signal then but Direct will charge me for HD upgrade the guy seems new so wondering if he has anyother options?
I had this exact same problem when I first ordered about two months ago. I could get the 101 just fine, but had some tall trees close to the house that blocked the 99 just enough to where I could not get HD. They were to the left of the dish, but were high and branched out enough to block the 99. I had the two trees removed and now I get HD. When I ordered, I knew I had an opening to get a signal, but with HD the LOS apparently shoots up and spreads out left and right to get the 99 and 103, and adjacent limbs that are close can block signal from those.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hard Drive Playback Freezes.........

LHR22 network

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)