Hello

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikescw

Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
Hey everyone. I'm very new to FTA. Got myself a viewsat. Can I use a direct tv dish or do I need to buy some thing different.I have a direct tv dish I found. I don't want to get in to trouble with direct tv. My viewsat 2000 ultra has a usb in the front for firmwear. do you have to update these unit once and a while?

I'm looking forward to playing around, FTA looks like a lot of fun.
Can anyone tell me the do's and don't of FTA like I said before I don't want to get into any trouble.

Thanks

We have a satellite list that's more technical and comprehensive (called: TheList), but for a beginner getting started, here's a list of available programming across the sky.

You should look for a bigger dish, and appropriate LNB.
90cm or 36" is a good size.
Some satellites can be had on smaller dishes, but with 36" you should not be disappointed.

As for a useful LNB, there are two kinds, which are on different parts of the Ku band.
Linear. they come in Standard or Universal, and for most everything either is fine.
- the local oscillator frequency for Standard is 10750, and for Universal it's 10600 (with 22khz ON)
Circular. at the high end of the Ku band, and used for the pay-TV programming.
- the local oscillator frequency is 11250.

You should shop for a Standard (or Universal) LNB.

For starting out, let me draw your attention to 123° with lots of English, 97° for foreign language, or possibly 125° for PBS.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Please double check me

something that could help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)