HDMI over Cat5e/6 up to 75ft.

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Been all over monoprice. Have been considering this guy which has pretty good reviews:
For only $16.52 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDMI over CAT5E / CAT6 Extender Wall Plate (Pair) - Single Port (1P) - White (Rev. 1.2) | HDMI Wall Plates

My questions are:

1. Cat6 better than 5e?
2. Sheilded (STP) better? It would be close or crossing over power cables.
3. Powered splitter necessary? I would not actually be splitting HDMI, just 1x1....using component for the nearby set.

Actual distance to second TV is about 60ft but no one makes that length at a reasonable price.

Other thoughts or recommendations welcome.
I'm researching all this for the possibility of dropping our 722 and keeping the K since we (just wife and I) NEVER view our two HDTV's simultaneously.

Been all over monoprice. Have been considering this guy which has pretty good reviews:
For only $16.52 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDMI over CAT5E / CAT6 Extender Wall Plate (Pair) - Single Port (1P) - White (Rev. 1.2) | HDMI Wall Plates

My questions are:

1. Cat6 better than 5e?
2. Sheilded (STP) better? It would be close or crossing over power cables.
3. Powered splitter necessary? I would not actually be splitting HDMI, just 1x1....using component for the nearby set.

Actual distance to second TV is about 60ft but no one makes that length at a reasonable price.

Other thoughts or recommendations welcome.
I'm researching all this for the possibility of dropping our 722 and keeping the K since we (just wife and I) NEVER view our two HDTV's simultaneously.

That $17 is gettin' to ya, ain't it????? ;)

I use an older version of those to distribute component video and left right audio over cat6 to the hdtv in the bedroom and use hdmi for the main tv. They work well.

The main problem is that wall plate converters are usually only good to 20 meters and you want to go almost 23 meters.

Use whatever cabling they recommend. If you can't buy a pre-made cable short enough, you can always have one custom made.

Shielded cable probably isn't necessary, it is more expensive and harder to work with.

If you really can't close the distance, I'd suggest stepping up to the next stage of HDMI extenders.

If you really can't close the distance, I'd suggest stepping up to the next stage of HDMI extenders.
No, impossible to close the distance. Everything I've read said this is a better method than long HDMI runs, even with extenders. But, you can't believe everything you read.

I use one of these fine with Cat 6 to extend my 722K HDMI out. It is about 80 feet. I bought 2 100' Cat 6 cables at the same time and cut the ends off and put new ones on, so they would be to length.

I would recommend shielded cable. I bought non-shielded and had to hack something together because when I turned my bedroom light on & off, I was losing sync.

Have a set

I have a set of the and the chart says cat 5 is good at 25 meters. It takes 2 runs of cable not just 1 to do it. I haven't had a chance yet to hook it up. I've put the wire in but too busy to put the to ends into wall. BTW there is an input box & an output box. Don't know what the diff is since they are sealed boxes. cat 6 UTP is recommended for 29 m and cat 6 STP for 32 m. The UTP is the shielded and is really only needed if there is a noise problem. If my cat 5 doesn't work well will get some 6 and just use the 5 as pull wire.

Hyperion TV code

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)