hd

Status
Please reply by conversation.

carlosg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
:cool: does directv let you make payments on hd box like the tivo

Since DirecTV doesn't yet sell the HDTiVo, then the answer is no. However, a non-TiVo HD receiver probably can be paid for over a few months as part of your bill. The only way to really know is to call them.

You can purchase the SD DirecTV DVR for $33/mo over 3 months.

No specials on HD yet. They are not available though DirecTV at this time.

cr0mag said:
Does anyone know WHY D* isn't trying to offer the HD Tivo directly?

A recent conversation with the nice folks at customer retention revealed to me that D* will likely start offering HDtivos when the next unit comes out.

He said the new unit would have 500GB of storage and be placed at the $999 price point.

He could have been talking out of his hat, but time will tell.

chrisb said:
A recent conversation with the nice folks at customer retention revealed to me that D* will likely start offering HDtivos when the next unit comes out.

He said the new unit would have 500GB of storage and be placed at the $999 price point.

He could have been talking out of his hat, but time will tell.

He is talking out of his hat trust me on this. It will be the same unit maybe with a different model number but nothing will be different but the price within a few months. They may offer a bigger harddrive unit later on but their are "no plans" right now to offer anything different with the exception of another brand HD DVR from Moxi and/or NDS and that is rumor because I haven't had that confirmed or denied as of yet.

LonghornXP said:
He is talking out of his hat trust me on this. It will be the same unit maybe with a different model number but nothing will be different but the price within a few months. .

Longhorn - What do you think the price will be? Will this be a 2004 thing or a 2005 thing?

mulesqb said:
Longhorn - What do you think the price will be? Will this be a 2004 thing or a 2005 thing?

I'm hearing it will be sometime around Christmas or after and the price will be somewhere between 600-750 bucks for existing customers. Now it could go lower but I don't know that nor do I know what the price will be for new customers. I'm also told that they might have an offer for 2+ year customers who have an account in good standing and have a bill over 70 bucks a month.

LonghornXP said:
I'm hearing it will be sometime around Christmas or after and the price will be somewhere between 600-750 bucks for existing customers. Now it could go lower but I don't know that nor do I know what the price will be for new customers. I'm also told that they might have an offer for 2+ year customers who have an account in good standing and have a bill over 70 bucks a month.

WOW! I hope that comes to fruition. I've been waiting for it to come down a little because I want to add another HDTV and just feell like $900 is too much for this unit. Thanks for the info. I've read a number of your posts about the additional HD coming. What is the latest that you are hearing? Is anything going to happen before the end of the year? Thanks for all your insight!

I have an HTL-HD for my HD fix, so I can wait a bit longer to see what happens next year. There's not quite enough HD content in my area yet.

mulesqb said:
WOW! I hope that comes to fruition. I've been waiting for it to come down a little because I want to add another HDTV and just feell like $900 is too much for this unit. Thanks for the info. I've read a number of your posts about the additional HD coming. What is the latest that you are hearing? Is anything going to happen before the end of the year? Thanks for all your insight!

TNT HD should be coming soon and don't expect much more HD to show up until after football season but it will be before summer that we should have a pretty nice new selection of HDTV that everyone can get access too. Also we might also have a few more SD premium move channels as well if my info pans out. Also I'm hearing that maybe just maybe Nick Games and Sports might be coming at some point but that has not been clearly sorted out yet.

LonghornXP said:
TNT HD should be coming soon and don't expect much more HD to show up until after football season but it will be before summer that we should have a pretty nice new selection of HDTV that everyone can get access too. Also we might also have a few more SD premium move channels as well if my info pans out. Also I'm hearing that maybe just maybe Nick Games and Sports might be coming at some point but that has not been clearly sorted out yet.

Thanks for the info. as long as my fragile Giants can overcome this week's staggering injuries, then I can be patient for more HD until after the season. Although I still think back to that D* press release in the beginnning of the year about doubling or tripling their HD in 2004. It seems like they screwed up in saying that.

mulesqb said:
Thanks for the info. as long as my fragile Giants can overcome this week's staggering injuries, then I can be patient for more HD until after the season. Although I still think back to that D* press release in the beginnning of the year about doubling or tripling their HD in 2004. It seems like they screwed up in saying that.

Sadly to say if they add TNT HD and count the NBC HD feeds it would be doubled. We had four HD channels to start with than they added Bravo HD+, TNT HD, NBC HD E&W and CBS HD E&W. That is almost tripled right there but it all comes down to whether they are counting NBC and CBS HD feeds or they just made a change after all the peoples complaining about picture quality. Also I think they have every right to complain about bad picture quality but that could have changed their plans or should I say it did change their plans.

Quick question about the NBC e/w and CBS e/w feeds...

Does EVERYONE recieve NBC and CBS in HD or only those who can't get the locals?

cr0mag said:
Quick question about the NBC e/w and CBS e/w feeds...

Does EVERYONE recieve NBC and CBS in HD or only those who can't get the locals?

You can only get them if you live in an operated and owned DMA and you will only get either the East or the West coast feed.

To see if you can get these feeds you can check the following below.

For NBC ....http://www.directv.com/see/landing/nbc_hd.html

For CBS ....http://www.directv.com/see/landing/cbs_hd.html

Also you can apply for a waiver to get these feeds and if you get a waiver you will have to pay for each channels usually around 2 bucks per channel.

You can check if you can get a waiver here...http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/AddressEntry.asp

Now if you live in a market listed on the NBC and/or CBS pages you won't pay extra for the channel if you have local channels and/or the HD Package.

LonghornXP said:
Sadly to say if they add TNT HD and count the NBC HD feeds it would be doubled. We had four HD channels to start with than they added Bravo HD+, TNT HD, NBC HD E&W and CBS HD E&W. That is almost tripled right there but it all comes down to whether they are counting NBC and CBS HD feeds or they just made a change after all the peoples complaining about picture quality. Also I think they have every right to complain about bad picture quality but that could have changed their plans or should I say it did change their plans.

I guess I was coming up with 6 by including HBO and Showtime. But anyway I'm not going to kill them on it. On the pq issue, I know I'm in the minority and don't want to get flamed, but I'd rather get the channels up and going knowing that some bandwith relief is coming at the end of football and then next summer with the new birds. At that point if the pq isn't up to par then I'd have a problem with it. After enjoying HD it real hard to go back to SD, especially on the big tv. Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

mulesqb said:
I guess I was coming up with 6 by including HBO and Showtime. But anyway I'm not going to kill them on it. On the pq issue, I know I'm in the minority and don't want to get flamed, but I'd rather get the channels up and going knowing that some bandwith relief is coming at the end of football and then next summer with the new birds. At that point if the pq isn't up to par then I'd have a problem with it. After enjoying HD it real hard to go back to SD, especially on the big tv. Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

Good catch and I screwed this up badly. So that would make 6 HD channels before they said they would double or triple their lineup. So today they have NBC, CBS and Bravo HD+ and will soon have TNT HD. That would make it exactly doubled. Now I'm not quite sure if CBS was available before they made the statement but if they added Fox HD before the end of the year they would have covered what they said. Now I don't think they have covered what they said at all because I think feeds or channels that every customer doesn't have access to even if they want to pay for them shouldn't be counted .

I would also like to just have the channels even with reduced picture quality because I know things will get better and like you said I would still rather watch a show in not so good HD than in really bad SD. Thats just me anyways.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

New D* sub: How's my signal strength?

taking my dish and receiver on the road

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)