HD programs - only on HD channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

unFun

Original poster
Sep 9, 2005
I was trying to watch the NFL football game on ABC last night in HD and it wouldnt work. I have my local channels as a part of my DirecTV service, so I'm not watching them through an off-air antenna. The sales rep I talked to told me I should be able to get local channels in HD through DirecTV.

That then makes me wonder if I'll be able to get non HD channel programs in HD. For example, when TNT has programs in HD will I be able to get them?

I'm using an H10 receiver. All of the HD channels work perfectly. I have signal strength of 95 on LNB A and my signal strength is around 83 on B and C. The game came on, but it switched the resolution to 480p when I went to ABC and even though I changed it to 720p and 1808i it remained the same quality it was when it was 480p.

unFun said:
I was trying to watch the NFL football game on ABC last night in HD and it wouldnt work. I have my local channels as a part of my DirecTV service, so I'm not watching them through an off-air antenna. The sales rep I talked to told me I should be able to get local channels in HD through DirecTV.

That then makes me wonder if I'll be able to get non HD channel programs in HD. For example, when TNT has programs in HD will I be able to get them?

I'm using an H10 receiver. All of the HD channels work perfectly. I have signal strength of 95 on LNB A and my signal strength is around 83 on B and C. The game came on, but it switched the resolution to 480p when I went to ABC and even though I changed it to 720p and 1808i it remained the same quality it was when it was 480p.

I love Dumb Sales reps..

Without the new HD LILs (not up yet) you are NOT going to get Locals in HD off of SAT unless you get the NY or LA feeds. With an OTA antenna (depending on where you live) you may be able to get some OTA.

And your other question... unless it says its in HD it Aint gonna be HD... to get HD TNT stuff we need the TNT HD channel.

So what you're telling me is the ONLY HD programming I can get in HD are the channels that are a part of the HD package? So I paid $200 for a receiver and $10.99 a month to get 7 channels in HD? heh...I'm glad they tell you that in advance! Oh wait, no they don't.

unFun said:
So what you're telling me is the ONLY HD programming I can get in HD are the channels that are a part of the HD package? So I paid $200 for a receiver and $10.99 a month to get 7 channels in HD? heh...I'm glad they tell you that in advance! Oh wait, no they don't.

Uh yes they do in very plain english spelled out on the website and in all the documentation.

I am always the sceptic, but this really sounds like a "baited" discussion.

i guess i shouldn't be that upset that i dont get the HD signal then?

but like what he was saying, shouldnt when TNT broadcasts in HD we get it thru the HD signal if we have HD

Only after DirecVT signs a contract to carry it and then they setup a transponder to broadcast it to their DBS users and then agrees with a startup date.

ThePassion said:
i guess i shouldn't be that upset that i dont get the HD signal then?

but like what he was saying, shouldnt when TNT broadcasts in HD we get it thru the HD signal if we have HD

Your missing something... we dont get TNT HD the channel

You cant take a SD channel and Magically give it enough bandwidth and change to HD... not possible... tehy are 2 seperate channels...

Back when Universal HD was Bravo you had Bravo and Bravo HD+ as channel choices.

ESPN and ESPN HD are another good example

so in short they cant just flip a switch between the 2... and theres not enough space up there currently anyway... someone explained it to me best.. for 1 hd channel takes up the space of 6 SD channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirecTV HD

west coast HD feeds

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)