HD Local for D.C. and 119 signal issue on H10-250

Status
Please reply by conversation.

geauxtigers

Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Folks,

Are all Directv installers trained to say you can't get a signal or line of sight if it looks like it will take more than one hour to do the install? After suffering through 18 months of exile to the evil make you wait all day and give you no service Comcast, I finally was in a position to get my Directv back. They came out, said I would get no signal at all, I disagreed, we argued and then I was told that they could install my dish, but I would likely not get any HD signals due to a large tree next door The front of my home is due South, has a 35-40 foot high rooftop, but to the due West is this 60 foot tree with minor branches jutting out into the Southern part of that lot, possible obscuring the SW view form the Southeast sid eof the home. Since HD was the most important thing to me, I reluctantly released them, and they took the HD-DVR with them and left.

Not accepting that I could not have my full HD Directv, as an experiment, I then purchased a H10-250 from BestBuy and obtained a 3-LNB dish via e-bay (which I highly reccommend). I installed it all last night, and I get a 85-88 signal strength on Sat. 101 (A), zero on Sat. 119 (B), and 92-94 signal strength on Sat 110(C).

First, I'm a little perplexed about not getting any signal for the 119 B Satellite. Is the "tilt" setting an issue in Washington, D.C. (the manual implies this could be an issue on the Eastern Seabord) and is that my most likley culprit? Line of site seems to be the the same as for the other two LNB units or am I dead wrong on assuming that as the tree that the Directv installers worried about is a good 15 feet to the right of where the LNB seems to be pointing. Any other ideas? Can that one LNB be bad? The only HD channel I won't get wihtout the 119 feed that I care about seems to be ESPN2 HD, but who knows what the future holds.

Second, I'm in DC. The Directv website says I can get local channels in HD with no asterisk or other limiting factor noted in the listing (i.e., no indictation that you need a multi-satellite dish to get local HD signals). The Directv site is not too clear nor was the CSR all that knowledgeable. Do I need the new 5 LNB/H20 setup to get my locals in HD in D.C., and if I do not, which is what I suspect, what Satellite carries those HD feeds? The same as the SD feeds (which is 101)?

Third, I only have one TV (HD) and have both lines that go to the H10-250 hooked up to separate prongs of the built-in 4 prong multiswitch attched to the LNBs. Is that the correct way t do it? Or should I just run one line down from the dish and then split it into two with a di-plexer?

Thanks

geauxtigers said:
Folks,

Are all Directv installers trained to say you can't get a signal or line of sight if it looks like it will take more than one hour to do the install? After suffering through 18 months of exile to the evil make you wait all day and give you no service Comcast, I finally was in a position to get my Directv back. They came out, said I would get no signal at all, I disagreed, we argued and then I was told that they could install my dish, but I would likely not get any HD signals due to a large tree next door The front of my home is due South, has a 35-40 foot high rooftop, but to the due West is this 60 foot tree with minor branches jutting out into the Southern part of that lot, possible obscuring the SW view form the Southeast sid eof the home. Since HD was the most important thing to me, I reluctantly released them, and they took the HD-DVR with them and left.

Not accepting that I could not have my full HD Directv, as an experiment, I then purchased a H10-250 from BestBuy and obtained a 3-LNB dish via e-bay (which I highly reccommend). I installed it all last night, and I get a 85-88 signal strength on Sat. 101 (A), zero on Sat. 119 (B), and 92-94 signal strength on Sat 110(C).

First, I'm a little perplexed about not getting any signal for the 119 B Satellite. Is the "tilt" setting an issue in Washington, D.C. (the manual implies this could be an issue on the Eastern Seabord) and is that my most likley culprit? Line of site seems to be the the same as for the other two LNB units or am I dead wrong on assuming that as the tree that the Directv installers worried about is a good 15 feet to the right of where the LNB seems to be pointing. Any other ideas? Can that one LNB be bad? The only HD channel I won't get wihtout the 119 feed that I care about seems to be ESPN2 HD, but who knows what the future holds.

Second, I'm in DC. The Directv website says I can get local channels in HD with no asterisk or other limiting factor noted in the listing (i.e., no indictation that you need a multi-satellite dish to get local HD signals). The Directv site is not too clear nor was the CSR all that knowledgeable. Do I need the new 5 LNB/H20 setup to get my locals in HD in D.C., and if I do not, which is what I suspect, what Satellite carries those HD feeds? The same as the SD feeds (which is 101)?

Third, I only have one TV (HD) and have both lines that go to the H10-250 hooked up to separate prongs of the built-in 4 prong multiswitch attched to the LNBs. Is that the correct way t do it? Or should I just run one line down from the dish and then split it into two with a di-plexer?

Thanks

Are you sure you pointed the dish correctly? You may be hitting 110 and 119 thinking you are on 101 and 110. Check your azimuth again.

geauxtigers said:
Folks,

Thanks

The tilt is 56, elevation is around 34. If your hitting the 101 and 110 something is blocking the 119 but you are a smart guy you wil figure it out.

grydlok said:
The tilt is 56, elevation is around 34. If your hitting the 101 and 110 something is blocking the 119 but you are a smart guy you wil figure it out.
Remember the figures given on the receiver for setting up the dish is only a referance, to get you started, fine tuning is always needed.

Jimbo

Thanks all. I've decided the culprit is the tree next door. If i want ESPN HD I guess I'll have to call a tree service. Any thoughs on the HD locals. Looks like OTA may be the way to go.

geauxtigers said:
Thanks all. I've decided the culprit is the tree next door. If i want ESPN HD I guess I'll have to call a tree service. Any thoughs on the HD locals. Looks like OTA may be the way to go.

So the installer was correct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

E* Offer Almost to Good to Pass Up

Do I get free XM Satellite Radio with D*?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)