HD hookup w/my HDTV specs...?

kcromeis

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 11, 2005
Here are my Toshiba 52HM94 specs...is there anything i need to tell the installer to do for my HD hookup?

TALEN™

HD2+ DLP™ Chip with Full 1280 x 720 Mirrors with Filled Vias

PixelPure™

CableClear™ DNR+

Integrated HD DLP™ Projection TV

ATSC/QAM Tuners

Radiance™ Lamp

Screen Size: 52" Diagonal

Larger .8" Chip for Increased Brightness

Full 1280 x 720 Mirrors for Enhanced Sharpness

Filled-in Mirror Vias for Increased Contrast

Double-Speed 9-Bit System with Enhanced Algorithms for Video Noise Elimination

TheaterFine™ DFP Screen

First Surface Mirror

HD Dynamic Contrast

3D Y/C Comb Filter

Color Temperature Control

Black Level Expander

Two Tuner PIP

MultiWindow (12)

TheaterWide® Modes

Cinema Mode (3:2 Pulldown)

Thin Depth/Low Profile Tabletop Cabinet

Audio
MTS Stereo/SAP with dbx®

PIP Sound

SRS® WOW™

Separate Woofers and Tweeters

Dolby® Digital Output

Total Audio Wattage: 40 W

StableSound®

Convenience
TV Guide On Screen™ Interactive Program Guide

CableCARD™

6-Item A/V Illuminated Remote with DVD and Audio Control

HD Window™ POP

Tri-Lingual On-screen Display

Sleep Timer

TheaterNet™ IR/1394 Control System

Auto Aspect Detection

Instant Restart

Day/Night Modes

One-Touch HD Recording Control *

Live Pause/Rewind TV Capability *

Digital Encoder

OmniViewer™

Closed Captioning on Mute

V-Chip Parental Control System

Channel Return

Power Return

Noise Muting

Favorite Channel

Channel Lock

Channel Labeling

Video Lock

Direct Video Input Selection

On Timer

Video Labeling

Individual A/V Settings by Input Type

Discrete IR Codes

Two Level Mute

SurfLock™

Split Screen

Color Silver with Gray Bezel

TheaterLink™ IR

Jackpacks
RF Inputs (2)

A/V Inputs - Rear (2)

S-Video Inputs - Rear (2)

ColorStream® HD Component Video Inputs (2)

Video Output

Audio Outputs - Fixed and Variable

Dolby Digital Audio Output (Coaxial)

HDMI™ (High-Definition Multimedia Interface)

EEE1394 with DTV Link (2)

Use the HDMI connection, set to 1080i output. When watching 720p programming, switch to 720p output.

That's about it.

gpflepsen said:
Use the HDMI connection, set to 1080i output. When watching 720p programming, switch to 720p output.

That's about it.

does the 811 use the HDMI connection? considering thats the model i can get thru the current offer.

You can get an HDMI to DVI-D adapter. You will need to use another digital audio device, as the 811 only has spdif via optical connection.

You want the digital connection between the receiver and digital display. Run the output of the receiver in the programming's native resolution.

so i need to buy an adaptor to use the 811? Do any of the HD E* receivers use HDMI interface?

I imagine that your set has YPrPb (component) video inputs. The 811 supports that. If not, DVI/HDMI adapters are cheap.

The 811 doesn't come with a DVI cable, so you'd need to go to the video store for a cable anyway.

mdonnelly said:
I imagine that your set has YPrPb (component) video inputs. The 811 supports that. If not, DVI/HDMI adapters are cheap.

The 811 doesn't come with a DVI cable, so you'd need to go to the video store for a cable anyway.

so i just need a DVI cable and a DVI to HDMI adaptor?

appreciate all the help..obviously i want to get everything done before ordering

kcromeis said:
so i just need a DVI cable and a DVI to HDMI adaptor?

appreciate all the help..obviously i want to get everything done before ordering
Right. To get sound, you'll need to connect the supplied composite (r/w) lines from the 811 outputs to the sound inputs for the HDMI port (well, at least that's how it works for DVI).

mdonnelly said:
Right. To get sound, you'll need to connect the supplied composite (r/w) lines from the 811 outputs to the sound inputs for the HDMI port (well, at least that's how it works for DVI).

will the installer do any of this if i have the cables on hand? what exactly is provided "cable-wise" when you order the dish?

kcromeis said:
will the installer do any of this if i have the cables on hand? what exactly is provided "cable-wise" when you order the dish?
I'd say the installer has to connect enough cables to see the 811's menu. Anything beyond that, I don't know.

The 811 comes with component (YPrPb), composite (r/w/y) and s-video cables.

Composite and s-video are for SD, component is for HD. Make sure you know which video input setting on your TV is for HD, and which is which for the other cables. My TV has 4 SD video ports, and 3 HD ports. It can get confusing.

Can you find the $250 for a 942 upgrade? If you can, I'd highly recommend going that route. There's nothing inherently wrong with a 811, it's just not a DVR.

The 942 has HDMI, which includes the audio in the connector. I'm not sure if an HDMI cable is provided, but I'm sure someone here will answer that.

With digital displays, it is best to utilize a digital connector. Component is great too, but many can see an improvement with either DVI-D or HDMI.

the 942 only comes w/ the dvi>hdmi cable, no straight hdmi. gotta fork out the $$$ for that one...

If I were you, I would get a dvi/hdmi cable not a dvi cable and a hdmi adapter. I have a Sony 50" LCD grand wega with the 811. I used the DVI cable and bought the HDMI adapter, but the adapter makes the cable end-heavy where it plugs into my TV. Thus it has a tendency to sag and occasionally it loses its connection and breaks away from the HDMI port. So, something else to consider.

Just a note on the component vs DVI, I have a Sony KV-30HS420 HDTV, I have tried both outputs, there are no difference in the picture quality.

S8

Stats8 said:
Just a note on the component vs DVI, I have a Sony KV-30HS420 HDTV, I have tried both outputs, there are no difference in the picture quality.

S8

The Sony KV-30HS420 is an analog set. My statements are in regards to digital displays such as DLP, LCD, LCoS, etc.

All things considered, it is best to avoid unnecessary analog/digital conversions.

"All things considered, it is best to avoid unnecessary analog/digital conversions"

Thats is true for sure, however my point was to warn the buyer of the $ 80 HDMI or DVI cable, you may not see any difference in picture quallity. :)

One doesn't need to spend big money on digital cabling.

Ebay has regular listings for HDMI-HDMI cables for less than $15.

DVI-D-HDMI cables can be had for $8.

You don't need no fancy over-priced Monster cables :)

return policy on dish 921 receiver

dish installer gave me the scoop about hd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts