HD Directv question - Please Help !!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

esca540

Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
detroit
I purchased a Directv HD receiver from someone on Craigslist. When I called DTV to get an HD access card, they told me that because the receiver was previously a leased receiver, they would not send me an access card. So my first question is how/where can I buy a HD receiver (so I don't have to pay the monthly lease fee on this receiver) and still get an HD access card from DTV???

Second question is can a non HD receiver work with an HD dish?

what RandallA said. it isn't worth owning any dvr or receiver with Directv

I purchased a Directv HD receiver from someone on Craigslist. When I called DTV to get an HD access card, they told me that because the receiver was previously a leased receiver, they would not send me an access card. So my first question is how/where can I buy a HD receiver (so I don't have to pay the monthly lease fee on this receiver) and still get an HD access card from DTV???

Second question is can a non HD receiver work with an HD dish?

I see you skipped the all-important step of calling in and checking the RID # with DirecTV before you wasted money on a doorstop. I would suggest you contact the seller and demand a refund. He need to return the box to DirecTV. It was not his property to sell. You need to call in and ask for the access card dept BEFORE you buy a receiver. There are tons of idiots/scam artist selling leased boxed online. You need a receiver that was "owned" outright and has no outstanding balance due. Then you can call in and get an access card for $20 and activate the box.

Keep in mind that owning a receiver DOES NOT exempt you from additional monthly fees. There is still a $6/m fee. It changes from a lease fee to a mirror access fee.

The benefit to owning the receiver it that 1.) you can sell it at any time, 2.) you can modify it if DVR 3.) you can activate/reactive as you want without any contract extension

esca540, :welcome to Satelliteguys!
Are you adding a receiver to your account or will it be the only one? If the latter, you don't pay $6/month for it, only the additional ones.

esca540, :welcome to Satelliteguys!
Are you adding a receiver to your account or will it be the only one? If the latter, you don't pay $6/month for it, only the additional ones.

Chip,
You cannot have a used recvr as your ONLY box, they won't do it.
That said, OP, whats the answer to Chips question ?

Chip,
You cannot have a used recvr as your ONLY box, they won't do it.
That said, OP, whats the answer to Chips question ?

Exactly right Jimbo, I forgot about that.

In summary: (1) DirecTV won't activate a leased receiver because the person who "sold" it to you does not have the right to "sell "it, it is supposed to be returned to DirecTV. See mini1s post on this. Try to get your money back from the "seller".
(2) It does not matter if the box is leased or owned, you pay the same monthly fee. If it's leased it's a "leased receiver fee", if it's owned it's an "additional receiver fee".

To my original point, the $6/month only applies to additional boxes, not the first one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Spotbeam distance

Another prospective D* sub with a few questions...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)