Have DIRECTV satelite and reciever, what can I do with them?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Motodeficient

Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Maine
The house I bought has a Directv satelite installed, and I already had a Directv reciever. I have hooked the satelite up to the reciever and configured it and it works fine, but obviously I can't view any programming. What I am really trying to do is just get local channels, because they don't come in at all via Antenna. Is there any way to get the local channels from the dish? I am not trying to do anything illegal, just trying to get my local channels.

You cant buy locals only so you would have to get a minimum programming package that includes locals.. What is your zip code?

The house I bought has a Directv satelite installed, and I already had a Directv reciever. I have hooked the satelite up to the reciever and configured it and it works fine, but obviously I can't view any programming. What I am really trying to do is just get local channels, because they don't come in at all via Antenna. Is there any way to get the local channels from the dish? I am not trying to do anything illegal, just trying to get my local channels.

There is something you can try. They are called clip on antennae. They clip on the dish and sometimes do pick up local channels. You will need a digital converter (ATSC chip) if your TVs do not have them.

These clip on antennas are designed to be diplexed along with the Directv signal...but will not work well with the HD signal.

There is also an antenna called a " Square Shooter" that is actually a bow tie analog / HD antenna in a square plastic case that looks like a square Directv dish. It mounts on a Direectv mast...but they provide one also.
You will be out about $50.00 to $100.00 for a one time cost for either of these things.
Then you have to install it.

AND there is a web site...antennaweb.org that you can use to get the correct antenna for your site. If you are at a great distance from a broadcast source your antenna could be huge!

In the long run a limited Directv subscription will serve you much better. Locals depend on your zip code...go to the Directv web page and enter your zip code.

The dish and unactivated receiver are abandoned property....Directv will provide new equipment and or tune what you have, probably with a new receiver.

Joe

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

New Software Update SD DVR's. ox131E

Sunday Ticket Standalone, HD Upgrade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)