Have 4DTV - Want to get FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jefalatho

Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
I have an eight foot mesh dish and a 4DTV receiver. Have a new Chaparral Corotor II Plus feedhorn with Norsat PLL LNB's arriving shortly. Would like to know how to use an FTA receiver such as a Pansat 2500A along with my existing hardware. My main concerns are dish positioning and splitting the feeds on the LNBs. I don't want to burn anything up.

You have a partial FTA setup already with the 4DTV...you can get C-band FTA and digital DCII stuff :)

All you would need is a receiver...you can slave the DVB receievr to the 4DTV, the only issue is whatever polarity you are on the 4DTV the DVB would be too.

You can split it with a high frequency splitter and a DC block to make it so both the C-band and the DVB arent trying to send out opposite polarities :)

If you use a slave you have to control you polarities throught the 4DTV. In other worlds you have to set the 4DTV on a horizontial TP and scan, then set it on a vertical and scan. If you don't change it the slave will scan the same polarity twice giving you double signals on the same poliarity.

Doesn't sound like there is an easy way to control polarity when slaving the FTA receiver. It looks like the 4DTV receiver will have to be on to move the satellite to the correct azimuth and polarity. Then switch over to the FTA receiver to watch the target channel. Not something my wife is likely to pick up.

I am interested in picking up the DVB programming in C-band in addition to what's on the Ku band. That keeps me from being able to use a smaller offset dish. I think I'll put the system in as you guys suggest. If I like the C-band DVB channels, I'll put up another big dish dedicated to the FTA receiver. If I do that, will I have to purchase a dish mover or do the FTA receiver's have that capability?

If the FTA receiver and the 4DTV receiver are connected to the LNBs via two splitters, is there an issue when both units are powered up at the same time? Both the receivers supply power to the LNBs. Is it as simple as turning the power to the LNB off in the setup of the FTA receiver? Or is it even a problem I should be worried about? :shocked

get a couple of DC blocks and put them on one of them

Whatever one has the DC block will "slave"...I have a splitter on one of my lines, one line goes to the DVB and the other goes to the C/KU receiver. I put a DC block on the line going to the C/KU band and whatever polarity the DVB is on, the C/KU follows :)

Rat Shack sells them for a couple bucks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Video?

coolsat4000

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)