H-20 manufacturer questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigpro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
Okay, picked up the H20 while I still could and must say that I agree that OTA seems to be A LOT better. Several stations at a full 100% (I didn't know if went that high:) ). It might be a 'placebo' effect, but I do think the picture is better as well.
So, a few questions.

1) The manufacturer code is 600, made in Korea? Who is that? And the other boxes were 600 but made in China. Any suspected quality differences?

2) Any thoughts on when this will be interactive? I'm interested in the local
weather information I keep hearing about.

3) Anybody try to set up 'favorite list 1' using the 'channels I get' setting? I do that, then scroll down to deselect a few, and whenever I hit 24, the receiver resets. Happened twice, but otherwise is working great. Not a big deal, just curious to see if its a quirk of my receiver alone or of all of them.

:no
D'oh, meant to put this under the HD forum, if someone can move it for me (I can't figure out how to do it myself).

bigpro said:
Okay, picked up the H20 while I still could and must say that I agree that OTA seems to be A LOT better. Several stations at a full 100% (I didn't know if went that high:) ). It might be a 'placebo' effect, but I do think the picture is better as well.
So, a few questions.

1) The manufacturer code is 600, made in Korea? Who is that? And the other boxes were 600 but made in China. Any suspected quality differences?

1. LG reportedly makes this box to D* specs. As far as I can tell, the only mfg. code out there is 600. Also, I did some web surfing on another issue about a month ago. The short answer is no difference in quality among So. Korea, China, Taiwan, etc. They are all contract factories making various electronics brands.

Dana

bigpro said:
:no
D'oh, meant to put this under the HD forum, if someone can move it for me (I can't figure out how to do it myself).

Here is a little more info on the differant H-20 receivers and a web site started on AVS forums just for the H-20 it really helped answer a lot of my ???????`s.

From 1994 - 2003 every manufacturer designed their own DIRECTV receivers from the ground up. But when News Corp took over their vision was a standard user interface and remote control for every box, so customers and their CSR could more easily support the products.

So LG, Philips, Samsung, Thomson and Humax all build the same box to DIRECTV's specifications.

Yes you are correct, LG made the Sony and Zenith DIRECTV receivers. In fact, LG owns Zenith. Sony actually built their first box, the HD100, but the HD200 and HD 300 were LG manufactured. LG made H20's and they are manufacturer code -600.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=598538&page=1&pp=30

Code:
2) Any thoughts on when this will be interactive? I'm interested in the local 
weather information I keep hearing about.

3) Anybody try to set up 'favorite list 1' using the 'channels I get' setting? I do that, then scroll down to deselect a few, and whenever I hit 24, the receiver resets. Happened twice, but otherwise is working great. Not a big deal, just curious to see if its a quirk of my receiver alone or of all of them.

Read that forum,I know its a lot of text but both your questions 2 and 3 are covered there.Like I said I had the same questions as you and learned a lot about the receiver from these posts.Hope this helps.........

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Local Milwaukee Channels Freezing

DirecTV & Echostar in talks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts