guys I need help...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

aka_d

Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
Hi,
I live in Canada (Montreal, QC) and I would like to have Asian channels so I just bought a "BlackBird MultiStar Pantec Ultra MX" FTA receiver from an ebay auction. I didn't receive it yet but it should be on its way. Can you guys tell me what kind of dish should I buy? There're many Dish Network and DirectTV dishes in ebay but I don't know if they work with FTA receivers. I will also need some help to install the equipment once I buy and receive everything, I'm completely new to this stuff. Your help will be appreciated a lot :)

Ok, now I've had some coffee and woken up, you'll need a minimum of a 30" dish to pick up anything useful along with a linear LNB such as the Invacom.
The Winegard or Fortec are great starter dishes whereas the Dish Network and DirectTV are a waste of time for any real FTA.

See the FAQ section on what you can get with a small 18" dish:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=74114

There's a lot more up there you'll be able to receive with a slighly larger dish.
Welcome to the forums :)

The Blackbird is a hacked reciever preprogrammed for stealing Dishnet.

Moderator note:
Any receiver specifically marketed as Blackbird is marketed toward signal-theft however the Pantec receiver can be used as a true FTA receiver and isn't necessarily flashed with illegal firmware.
Signal theft isn't tolerated here.
Any theft of programming is automatically forwarded to the appropriate authorities.

thanks everyone for your replies, I will search in ebay to find a dish..
snathanb.. I had no idea that Blackbird is illegal.. however, I won't use it to steal Dish Network channels, I only want to have Asian channels using FTA.

The receiver itself isn't illegal, if you use it to steal dishnetwork (by methods we won't go into here) you cross the line.

Be careful buying from eBay.

Oh ok, thanks for letting me know Cascade... Okay, I finally found a 90cm dish that apparently works with my FTA receiver (on ebay).. now do you know if I will be able to have Indian and/or Pakistani channels (Zee, Sony, B4U, PTV, etc.) from Montreal? If yes, how should I point the dish?

Just in case you missed it first time around:
"Be careful buying from eBay"

Check the FAQ section for what channels you can get with a larger dish, Iceberg started a thread about it which is at the top of this page.
Your best bet is Intelsat Americas 5 (aka Telstar5)

snathanb said:
The Blackbird is a hacked reciever preprogrammed for stealing Dishnet.

Moderator note:
Any receiver specifically marketed as Blackbird is marketed toward signal-theft however the Pantec receiver can be used as a true FTA receiver and isn't necessarily flashed with illegal firmware.
Signal theft isn't tolerated here.
Any theft of programming is automatically forwarded to the appropriate authorities.

very true. The Blackbird is basically designed for that.
Sadly, there are too many receivers that are being marketed fot that area.

But soon it will all end :)
(its partially done.....and soon it will all be over for them :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TSN on Nimiq2

PBS on AMC3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts