grounding

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nitroisbetter

Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
se wisconsin
question i am gettimg the dish instaled tommorow and live in an appartment and ofcourse i cant drill any holes to run the wires in the unit but i took an outlet out to gain acces to the wall and be able to put the wire throught the sheetrock to the inside of the unit as for grounding am i able to connect the grounding block ground wire to the ground wire on the old outlet.

Where's the dish being installed? Is this outlet an outside one that you're gaining access to the inside? Is this on the ground floor?

Anyway, it is against electrical code to ground the dish using the ground of an outlet. It needs to be grounded to the grounding rod where the electric service enters the apartment.

yea it is the outlet on my deck whitch is on the second floor thanks for the advice i wont ground it there i probbably wont be able to ground it at all due to the requirements of the lanlord

Where's the dish being installed? Is this outlet an outside one that you're gaining access to the inside? Is this on the ground floor?

Anyway, it is against electrical code to ground the dish using the ground of an outlet. It needs to be grounded to the grounding rod where the electric service enters the apartment.

question i am gettimg the dish instaled tommorow and live in an appartment and ofcourse i cant drill any holes to run the wires in the unit but i took an outlet out to gain acces to the wall and be able to put the wire throught the sheetrock to the inside of the unit as for grounding am i able to connect the grounding block ground wire to the ground wire on the old outlet.
JD,
Wouldn't this be better than NO ground at all ?

JD,
Wouldn't this be better than NO ground at all ?
I would say no, because then you are opening yourself up for a lightning impulse doing damage to the outlet and things connected on the circuit. If possible, the OP could drive his own grounding rod in the ground nearby and attach to that.

I would say no, because then you are opening yourself up for a lightning impulse doing damage to the outlet and things connected on the circuit. If possible, the OP could drive his own grounding rod in the ground nearby and attach to that.

yea it is the outlet on my deck whitch is on the second floor thanks for the advice i wont ground it there i probbably wont be able to ground it at all due to the requirements of the lanlord

I don't see that happening, seeing it on the second floor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)