Greg Maddux to retire- Your thoughts?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
001309144.jpg

Greg Maddux is going to announce jis retirement on Monday.

This is big news for our baseball fans that are familiar with him.

Your thoughts on Maddux's career and legacy?

What's he like 50? I know Maddox is a HOFer but it's crazy how long some of these guys play. I prefer to remember Maddux as a Brave or as a Cub not as the rent a pitcher who gets traded 3 times a season.

What's he like 50? I know Maddox is a HOFer but it's crazy how long some of these guys play. I prefer to remember Maddux as a Brave or as a Cub not as the rent a pitcher who gets traded 3 times a season.

He's only 42, thats young for the steroid era players.
No I'm not saying he did steroids, it just seems that a lot ofothers are playing much longer... hopefully it's better conditioning. :)

I too will remember Greg as a Brave ... also a Cub !

Jimbo

I own a Maddux Cubs Jersey. His career is very admirable - as he doesn't have supreme talent, but works hard and is a "student of the game".

He has found ways to win with "stuff" that wouldn't get most players out of AAA.

Yeah he lived on a 6" off the outside corner of the strikezone career...

A lot of successful pitchers did. MLB has done a tremendous job of re-establishing the integrity of the outside of the strike zone in recent years. For pitchers without great stuff, it relegates them to a lower level of success.

Yeah he lived on a 6" off the outside corner of the strikezone career. Thank you for retiring.

I was going to mention that.
Actually the Big 4 in Atlanta have had that advantage for many many years.

A lot of successful pitchers did. MLB has done a tremendous job of re-establishing the integrity of the outside of the strike zone in recent years. For pitchers without great stuff, it relegates them to a lower level of success.

Too bad MLB does nothing about the HIGH strike that NEVER gets called.

I'm tired of your pitcher having to throw to the size of a brief case to be a strike.
Nothing above the waist is a strike anymore.
You can't usually throw inside anymore without the batter coming out to the mound, another problem ...
Take all the body armor off these guys and I bet the pitchers would have more plate to work with.

Jimbo

I remember his career as a player on the Braves and playing in the World Series if I remember correctly. I also have many of his baseball cards and his rookie card.

A few notable Greg Maddux stats:

• The only pitcher in MLB history to win at least 15 games in 17 consecutive seasons.
  • 18 time Gold Glove winner. Also a record for a pitcher.
  • First player in history to win the Cy Yong Award 4 consecutive years ('92-'95)
  • 8th on career win list with 355. Only Warren Spahn (363) has more wins among active pitchers whose careers were in the post 1920's "live ball era".
  • In 23 seasons, Maddux has only been on the disabled list once.
Greg Maddux was one of the best pitchers I've seen in my lifetime. Not a flashy guy by any means. He was untarnished by the steroid era, admired by his peers and I think his stats will stand the test of time to be among the best.

Goodbye to another great one.

Best all around pitcher I ever saw play the game. Not only could he pitch but he could field and hit every once in a while.

Covering some of the CUBS games in Chicago, I remember him as complete A$$****!! He was jerk in interviews and just as much as one to the fans! He is a Randy Johnson lite. The ONLY reason he was not so known to be a$$whipe was because he was not 6-9 or whatever Johnson's height was.

He was a VERY GOOD pitcher(he was not great....Great is Seaver, Gibson, Drysdale and to a certain extent Clemens) that took advantage of a VERY LIBERAL strike zone in the 90s.

Greg Maddux was a master at pitching. The stat that tells the story of "Mad Dog" is his strikeout to walk ratios'. One year (maybe 2 year's) he had 19 wins and only 20 walks. How is that for control? I like many Braves fans will always have fond memories of him, Glavine, and Smoltz. I wish Smoltz and Glavine would also retire and they go into the Hall of Fame together.

Brian

A few notable Greg Maddux stats:

• 18 time Gold Glove winner. Also a record for a pitcher.
Cumulative Gold Glove totals are really hollow achievements. The award is given to the likely best fileder among the best players at a position, and then if the same guy gets it two or three years in a row, he is entitled to keep getting it forever. In a typical season, each person who votes for a Gold Glove pitcher only sees him play three or four times, and he might not even have had a single, tough chance in those outings.

Greg Maddux was one of the best pitchers I've seen in my lifetime.
But how good was he really, if he kept getting batters called out on pitches that weren't strikes?

But how good was he really, if he kept getting batters called out on pitches that weren't strikes?

Huh? What kind of statement is that? So your saying Maddux's uncanny control was a fluke?

You don't win 15 games in 17 consecutive season by fluke.

You also don't win 4 consecutive Cy Young's by fluke.

Like I said, he wasn't a flashy flame-thrower like The Rocket, but you have to give the guy his props. Instead of throwing heat, Maddux used pin-point accuracy and relied on his smarts to out-wit hitters. To me, that deserves a lot more credibility and respect than someone who just happened to be blessed (or enhanced) with a strong arm. :rolleyes:

Like I said, he wasn't a flashy flame-thrower like The Rocket

And as far as "The Rocket" was concerned, I watched his first twenty strikeout game on TV, and in the last two innings, he got calls for strikes on pitches that the batter couldn't have hit with a broom.

The unpires took away the high strike from Clemens after he threatened to hunt one of them down during the off season. As a result, Clemens went 40 and 39 in his last four years in Boston, making him the best .500 pitcher since Nolan Ryan.

And as far as "The Rocket" was concerned, I watched his first twenty strikeout game on TV, and in the last two innings, he got calls for strikes on pitches that the batter couldn't have hit with a broom.

The unpires took away the high strike from Clemens after he threatened to hunt one of them down during the off season. As a result, Clemens went 40 and 39 in his last four years in Boston, making him the best .500 pitcher since Nolan Ryan.

You are knowledgeable of the "Live Ball era" aren't you? For several reasons, post 1920, the hitters had more of an advantage, not the pitchers.

To me, this is what makes what Maddux has done during his career even all the more impressive.

College football bowl bid acceptances and matchups

Wittman fired

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)