Going back to Cable!

Amphicar770

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 26, 2004
I was a DISH sub for years and left only when we moved and cable was already in the new house. I came back to DISH a few weeks ago and will now surprisingly returning to cable. I have been underwhelmed with how the service has advanced over time. Here are my main gripes:

1) The HD 811 box needs to be rebooted AT LEAST once a day.
2) Lack of HD Networks and channels like PBS KIDS required me to put up a big ugly antenna much to the chagrin of my neighbors.
3) Comcast offered me their digital package with HBO for $29.95 for the next 12 months. Even after that the net diff is about $10.
4) Pretty weak HD lineup for $10 extra a month.
5) I can rent a dual-tuner HD DVR for $10 a month versus buying the buggy 921 for $500.

OK, been typing as I am on the phone. DIHS just bought some time. I am not eligible for Comcast's Dump the DISH until I have been gone for 6 months. I will wait until then but unless the "exciting new features" coming in February are truly so, I am gone ....

Amphicar770 said:
I was a DISH sub for years and left only when we moved and cable was already in the new house. I came back to DISH a few weeks ago and will now surprisingly returning to cable. I have been underwhelmed with how the service has advanced over time. Here are my main gripes:

1) The HD 811 box needs to be rebooted AT LEAST once a day. ( my 811 does not, do not know why, it has been very stable for a while now, do you mean when it is downloading the guide ? )
2) Lack of HD Networks and channels like PBS KIDS required me to put up a big ugly antenna much to the chagrin of my neighbors. ( the biggest plus about Comcast, HD locals, but Comcast here does not offer UPN and WB in HD while I get them OTA.)
3) Comcast offered me their digital package with HBO for $29.95 for the next 12 months. Even after that the net diff is about $10. ( you have to remember all those hidden charges, franchise, taxes,etc and then the STB rental )
4) Pretty weak HD lineup for $10 extra a month. ( except for locals and Starz-HD which does not show all movies in HD and no OAR and InHD which shows a lot of repeats and also no OAR, I think E* is better with the HD-Nets ( and movies) and TNT-HD ( HD basketball ) and the extra NBA games we now get in HD now.
5) I can rent a dual-tuner HD DVR for $10 a month versus buying the buggy 921 for $500. ( if you have broadband with lifeline cable with them, you can get this anyways for $10.00, mine is 2 weeks away.)

OK, been typing as I am on the phone. DIHS just bought some time. I am not eligible for Comcast's Dump the DISH until I have been gone for 6 months. I will wait until then but unless the "exciting new features" coming in February are truly so, I am gone ....

The only thing that would make me fully go back to cable is if my RSN goes HD ( it has not yet)

Did ya try putting the antenna in the attic, when I got the 811 I hooked the already installed antenna up and suprisingly got all my OTA and I'm 40 miles away. Hell I don't even know what kind of antenna it is, I was like you, thinking now I have to put a damn antenna on the roof!

How far can you run RCA cables?

DVR choice between 522 and 510

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts