getting LA local channels via Direct tv in canada BC - is this at all possible?Hello there

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mallanikkelsen

Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Hello there

I have a friend in Canada BC who have a legit direct tv system with an LA account. However, he is only getting a few of the LA locals. on most of the channels, like KTLA, KCAL, BBCLA He is getting the "no signal" mesage.

I have discussed the matter with him and we came to the conclution that the reason for this lack of channels is because most of them are transmitted through a spot beam satellite. would this be correct?
If it is, would there be any way at all he would be able to pull in these channels in his location?
The current dish he has is the newest direct tv slimline SWM oval dish with receivers which are also SWM compatible.

any ideas at all? as it really is a shame that almost no locals can be received at present.

all the best from allan

Hello there

I have a friend in Canada BC who have a legit direct tv system with an LA account.

:facepalm

I have discussed the matter with him and we came to the conclution that the reason for this lack of channels is because most of them are transmitted through a spot beam satellite. would this be correct?

Yes

If it is, would there be any way at all he would be able to pull in these channels in his location?

If you call D* explaining your buddies legit account in Canada and give them the account #, I am sure they will be more then helpful.

:eek:k:

lol

Seriously, I don't care if he lives in Canada, but others here take it quite seriously.

Last edited:
Only the big 4 networks are broadcast nationally (or beyond).

ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX.

All other locals are spotbeam and in the LA area only.

Allan,
What your friend is seeing is correct. We take one of our receivers on the road with us when we travel in our RV. We lose KCAL & KTLA when we leave CA. But, CBS(2), NBC(4), ABC(7) and FO:mad:11) still work most of the time, at least as far as Phoenix. And you can also get those 4 networks (LA version) on 391, 393, 397 and 399 as well. For our viewing habits this is "most" of the LA channels since these channels carry the local LA news and weather. With minor exceptions, programming that appears on the other "locals" can usually be picked up on some other venue, like WGN or PBS.
Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

206 espnhd issues?

Spring Training Baseball

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)