FTA Wood Burning

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
For all the FTAers that live where it is warm most of the year and those that don't have any trees around, this is how you burn wood to keep warm after being outside in the cold adjusting the dishes.:eek: He also points his dishes North.....

Attachments

• Wood ON stove.jpg
    Wood ON stove.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 319
Hoho, wish I had one of those myself. Got a pile of hickory that needs burning, since the wind knocked a big tree down back in the spring. It was slowly dying anyway, and somebody was looking out, because it fell exactly away from the house! I suppose I'll have to advertise and sell it since I don't have a fireplace any more.

Its nice to see that there are American made stoves still being made!Mine is a Harman out of Pennsylvania USA.Its been warm here last few days so stove getting some rest.Ill be burning again in a few days.

Is that stove made by the US Stove Company? kinda looks like mine.
I called a friend of mine. That stove is in his work shop we have been building for a couple of months. Very few hours a week. He stated he did not know for sure but he bought it from some one that bought it from Farm/Fleet when they were going out of business. US Stove Company stoves is what they sold. So it may be. He will check when he get some time. (we are both retired and never can find any spare time.....):)
Do you burn your wood on top also?:D:eek:

No, I like to keep the wood in the stove, it makes my eyes water too much when it's on top.:) The store I bought it from no longer wanted to carry this model so the owner sold it to me for less than half his listed price. I believe The US Stove Company is an American company but I think they are built in China. It's built well and throws a lot of heat for it's size. I think it weighs close to 300lbs. I could pick it up but couldn't carry it, had to use a hand truck to move it.

Perhaps the reason the wood is ON the stove is because he's trying to dry it out a little bit, before burning it...sgs

Still not a good idea IMHO...to stack wood on top of wood stove, no matter how damp.
My wood stove top gets hot enough to boil water.;)

I do the same to dry out wood that is a little damp.

Perhaps the reason the wood is ON the stove is because he's trying to dry it out a little bit, before burning it...

sgs
Really?
Actually, that is what he was doing. The tree trimmers went past my house and I had some nice green oak for his stove. We were both in the shop painting so there was someone watching for if/when it started to smolder.(which it did) Certainly not a stunt one would do and leave the building. I just thought the picture was funny, maybe not.:)

.......I believe The US Stove Company is an American company but I think they are built in China. It's built well and throws a lot of heat for it's size. I think it weighs close to 300lbs. I could pick it up but couldn't carry it, had to use a hand truck to move it.
Yes, last early Fall when we moved the stove into the shop it was not something you would want to pick up. Could go 300 pounds easy.

Perhaps the reason the wood is ON the stove is because he's trying to dry it out a little bit, before burning it...

sgs
Yep! If you do not regularly burn wood --- then do not do this! If you do, then only do it if you know what to watch for.

If you put wet wood in the firebox, the steam will put out you fire, and also corrode (rust out) the smoke shelf, damper and stack. That is a VERY big hazard - that you may not see coming.

Any flames need to be watched and controlled. EVEN THE ONES in your GAS furnace - and hot water tanks. (In 1972, Bonner County ID, more house fires started by defective (or neglected) hot water tanks than by any other (may have been all other) causes.)

That pile of wood on the stove reminds me when I was about 5 years old. We actually had lit candles on the xmas tree. That was the norm and nobody gave it a second thought. It amazes me that I'm still around to talk about it.

For all the FTAers that live where it is warm most of the year and those that don't have any trees around, this is how you burn wood to keep warm after being outside in the cold adjusting the dishes.:eek: He also points his dishes North.....
What dish were you adjusting RT?.....Do miss my wood burning stove!

Speaking of wood stoves, I remember efficiency/pollution requirements came out, and stoves started having catalyst modules to "reburn" the exhaust gases, producing more heat and less pollution. Are those still around? Or have the "secondary burning chamber" (or whatever the proper name is) replaced them?

What dish were you adjusting RT?.....
The one that is needed to hit the mother ship that hovers somewhat over the North Pole. The one we have to contact to send reports about the odd and interesting creatures that inhabit this planet.;)
Sorry, navychop, can't tell you much about the stove.

Wind chill here is below -40 right now, so nothing feels better than stoking up the wood stove. Sometimes when I bring wood inside and I need it within a few hours I stand it up about 6ft away from the side of the stove. The radiation heats it up nicely without the fire hazard... or at least not as bad as setting it on top that's for sure. Found several dead oak trees last fall, man does that hardwood ever burn nicely. Have enough for a couple months, will burn some poplar, elm and willow if it warms up a bit. Nothing like wood heat!
-C.

Willow? Isn't that resinous?

Of course, after a willow tree victory over our sewer line, my father would prefer ALL willows to be burned! ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Win a C1-PLL and CS1 on Satellite Nation "LIVE" 12/18/2013

Galaxy 19 (97W) Ku-band channel guide -- Dec. 24 update

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)