FTA is a big bust for me

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigmutt

Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
Based on what I read on this forum, for several months, I bought the Fortec Classic NA, and had a 1.2 meter dish with SG2100 installed.
Well, this may be one of the best receivers available but I'm ready to give up on the whole thing.
I get lots of channels but almost all are junk. In fact, I think I only get three that I'm mildly interested in: ABC News Now, some Fox channel and a WB channel from Arkansas. That sure wasn't what I expected when I put out over five hundred dollars on this system.
All the posts dealing with reception in Mexico City were very promising, and the dealer/installer (who seems pretty experienced & competent) said I'd get all the major networks. That's what I was hoping for, including PBS like he said.
When I expressed disappointment, he said for some reason signals were just not coming in, but he didn't know why.
The 1.2 dish is high up, in a very elevated area of Mexico City, and has no obstructions whatsoever. Installer said location was just fine, but he didn't know why so few signals.
Of course there's no guarantee down here from the seller, when you get something like this, so I'm out $500 I guess.

My last hope will be to attempt to receive StarChoice signals, after I go up to Canada and sign up, and bring a receiver with me.

I'm glad all of you are so thrilled with your FTA but for me it totally sucks.
But thanks for the good reading on this forum. really interesting. I'm jealous.

Rick

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Bigmutt :(

There are some PBS channels FTA on AMC-3 but unfortunately you are outside (Or just about) the KU footprint.

I would ask if you can trade in for a BIGGER dish! And maybe another brand of LNBF (What kind are you using now?)

Always check the satellite Beam or footprint before getting your hopes up!

http://www.ses-americom.com/americom/siteSections/satellitesAndTeleports/coverageareas/kuband/amc3/

Looking at Sadouns link (below) if you are on the outskirts of the footprint you would need a dish of around 175cm, for reliable service!

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Dish-Size.htm

thanks for the info, and the encouragement to keep trying.

My LNBF is some kind of plain Fortec-brand one that came with the Fortec dish. (btw, why is sometimes called LNB and other times LNBF??)

A 1.75 dish would make my wife crazy; she already "compromised" with the 1.2, since all our neighbors have only the small Sky-TV dishes. besides, I don't think there's room on the roof for a motorized 1.75 size.

What do you think about my chances on the StarChoice signals? what do I need for DishNetwork signals? (I can get a subscription in U.S. for Dish).

thanks again, Pete.

any other thoughts from other folks?

Rick

Just a thought - if you're interested in news feeds, although the signal strength can vary, 93 degrees W. used to have a lot of these, esp. during hurricanes and the like.
These are unavailable from ANY pay services and can be quite revealing (others
here could tell you about other sats that have a lot of these.) This requires rescanning as they often change every 30 min.
For instance, one local female reporter picked up a large palm
branch and moved it 50 yards and placed it in the background of her "live"
report, as if to say it had blown right next to her current location by itself.

Try to get any info from the LNBF, any numbers.. Maybe a lower noise model will help.

An LNBF is an LNB and a Feedhorn. An LNB usually bolts to a feedhorn or scaler ring on C-Band dishes!

Like all Dishnetwork and DirecTV LNB's are actually LNBF's as they have everything in one.

Yes the female of the species seldom appreciate a large dish :(

I would ask locally if its feasible to pick up Starchoice or DishNotwork signals and what size dish would be needed!

http://www.telesat.ca/satellites/footprints/satellites_footprints6.htm

http://www.telesat.ca/satellites/footprints/F2kucontour.pdf

I live in west central MN should get by with a 30" on balcony with a full view of south?? No locals round here PSB is closest I think.

With a balcony install you have to watch for any overhang from above, other than that a 30" dish will work for 95% of FTA channels, 95% of the time!

Many 30" dish (Winegard) are better made and collect more signal than slightly bigger dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

can't program receiver to move motor

To CoolSat or PanSat, that is the question!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)