FTA/4DTV Hybrid

Status
Please reply by conversation.

javery

Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
Pittsburgh
FTA/4DTV Hybrid??

Looking at the the micro BUD idea, I am setting up a low cost HTPC that does it all.

The basic idea would be to use a twinhan card/starbox to control a usals/diseqc motorized 1.2M dish then slave a 4DTV sidecar to pickup the low cost subscription channels for the wife. (of course i would be sending the video back into the PC to display the content over a HDTV, the PC also gives me HD/DVD playback, plus i don't have to switch inputs on my TV for 3+ sources)

The question would be is how the dvb software would work with the 4DTV sidecar. The sidecar requires the dish to be pointed and set on specific transponder, for example: Is it possible to set the dish and lnbf with the twinhan to the main 4DTV program update on "Cband G10R TP7" and then switch to the sidecar?

I am hoping to get away without going to an analog receiver/actuator situation as I recently moved and had to give up the 10' mesh.

Any suggestions help would be appreciated.

Your dish is too small. A 4DTV will not work on a ku only system.

You would be better off looking around for a used 10' dish, 1.2m is far to small to get the guide and maps from the C-band transponders that they are on, and then a 922 would be best to get and slave the FTA to that system, grab a used dish we will help you set it up, make sure it is not warped and has tight mesh, good luck.

You might be able to "scrape by" on a 7.5' - 8.5' as the smallest, but I wouldn't count on anything acceptable. I concur with my fellow forum mates.

MicroBUD's are hobby setups to let us small-dish FTA'ers access C-band while still using Ku-type equipment (H-H motor, Diseqc movement, etc). While the results are VERY impressive, relying on a MicroBUD for pay access is a scary proposition. Due to small dish size, signal/quality can be much lower, and same-frequency nearby signals can become hopelessly mingled and rendered useless.

That being said, if somone had 4DTV service alreaady and tried using a MicroBUD, I'd be very very interested in the reults of that experiment ;)

Well I guess I will just have to experiment with it and let you guys know. I'm sure I can figure out some way to use the 905 sidecar's "pass thru" to switch the Cband lnbf control from the USB starbox to itself. And perhaps I will only need the starbox to simply control where the dish is pointed. Hopefully the sidecar won't effect the usals motor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Setup for cool sat pro

Make your own fiberglass dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts